Thursday, March 27, 2008

Need another reason to not shop at Walmart?

Walmart employee hit by truck.
Suffers severe brain injury, Walmart Employee health plan pays bills as expected.
Employee recieves four hundred thousand dollar settlement from other drivers insurance.
Walmart sues former employee ( now confined to nursing home) to recover the costs to Walmart Employee Health plan.

The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Walmarts favour.

In the mean time, former employees husband battles cancer and her oldest son is killed in Iraq.

Do you really need another reason to not shop there? Do you really need more reasons to throw the republicans out of the White House? ( Bush's appointees were the swing vote that won Walmarts case.) Seriously.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/03/26/kaye.walmart.update.cnn

This is what is wrong in America.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that's contrast (looking from this post to the one before). And yeah, that's America. I just can't quite grasp how it got that way. I also would have thought that they would have a pretty big PR department at Walmart, who would have figured out that the insurance benefit was a small cost compared to the publicity nightmare they've created. It's all a mystery to me.

Seumas Gagne said...

That's absolutely unbelievable. Further evidence that corporations must have their behaviour regulated by a responsible government. Corporations are the id of collective life and government is the ego. Both are necessary for sanity.

I would forward this on to my bother and sister-in-law who shop at Walmart, but I don't want to make them miserable. They're very good people, but they literally can't keep food on the table without shopping there.

I'm so conflicted on this issue. I guess my family should go hungry?

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Hippy Goodwife said...

See Seumas, that's the trouble. We ( or they, depending on how you look at it ) have created a world where many people can ONLY shop at Walmart, either because of distance to another store or because of price. It's a terrifying loop. I guess a better argument would be, if you can avoid Walmart, then do it. If you can't avoid it, work within your community to find ways to better regulate the giants so that they are responsive to community issues and teach them that there is something else besides their bottom line. And shop at the Mom and Pop's of the world as often as you can. For them every dime counts.

Heidi said...

Amen! And I agree with your last comment. Some folks don't have the luxury of choice that others of us do - But there is still things they cnd we can and should do to fight the corporate giants.

Seumas Gagne said...

You're right, of course, HG. I will take action.

Cynthia said...

No, I didn't need another reason, but thanks for the additional fuel for my fire. The scumbags.

~ Cyn <3

Anonymous said...

Wow, it is possible to hate them more than I already do.

CzaMama said...

Wow. Un/believable. What a world we have created.