New life, growing light and the hope that Winter may soon be replaced by the much easier days of Spring are all entangled in the beginning of February. Groundhogs, mother goddesses and planting are all here.
Today also happened to be the day that we made our butter for the week. Several of you ( hello! you!) have asked how and why we make our own butter. I'll start with the how....
I use my handy, almost never silent KitchenAid Stand Mixer. But you can make butter in any closed container too. An empty jar, martini shaker whatever. These directions are for the mixer.
Start with one quart heavy whipping cream at room temperature, go ahead let it sit on the counter for an hour. It won't spoil and your butter will taste better. Open it up and let it breathe.
Pour the cream into the bowl of the mixer and fit the mixer with the whisk. Starting on the slowest speed, turn the mixer on, after it is up to speed you can increase to one of the middle speeds. Now leave it alone.
- After 10 minutes you should have something approaching soft whipped cream.
- After 15-20 minutes it will be denser and more yellow. Turn up the speed to high and put a towel over the whole thing. Once the curds start to separate from the whey it gets messy.

3. In about 5 minutes you will see the foam get drier and start to deflate a little. Turn the mixer back to Medium.
4. Keep peeking at it, when it looks like cold lumpy oatmeal, turn it off. It doesn't take long to go from whipped cream to butter. This is the point where I like to add salt, some people do not. I add about a 1/2 teaspoon.
. Look Ma, Curds!5. Now you have curds and whey ( buttermilk). The curds will mostly stick to the whisk, but there is quite a bit in the buttermilk too. Pour the whole thing into a square of cheesecloth placed over a strainer and a bowl. Let it rest a minute.
6. Pick up the cheese cloth and squeeze as much of the whey as possible out of your butter. Some people rinse the curds before squeezing. I don't I like a little of the taste and smoothness of the whey to stay in the curds. Rinsing the curds will will allow you to keep your butter longer. We don't have to worry about butter storage around here, it never lasts longer than a week. So give it a good squeeze.

7. You now have a nice fist sized lump of butter
8. and about a pint and a half of buttermilk. We store our butter in canning jars in the refrigerator and on the counter. It can also be frozen. We keep the butter milk in the refrigerator and use it in baking for the week. Anything left at the end of the week goes into the freezer.

Now, why do we make our own butter? It tastes better, we know what is in it, and it's a damn fine science experiment that never gets old. Truly miraculous every single time. Every time I think, "oh no", it won't work and every time we get butter.
It's also a nod to the women who came before me, who churned by hand. It's a small way to help us remember where our food comes from. And especially on a winter day it's a tiny bit of bright yellow sunshine that helps remind me that better days will come, the sun will come back a bit more everyday and no matter how crappy I feel like things are, the small luxury of fresh bread and good butter cannot be denied. So that's why I make butter.
11 comments:
Awesome tutorial! I was wondering how to do this since you posted it once before. We are SO trying this at home.
Now a couple questions...about how much butter does it make? when you add the salt, so you mix it by hand or with the mixer?
You domestic goddess you!
Except that I didn't make butter yesterday (I was extremely cranky so it probably wouldn't have turned out anyway) we were amazingly thinking along the same lines yesterday!
Last night when I left the meeting I attended, I am sure I could smell the first faint perfume of spring in the air. And although it was still chilly outside it wasn't the bitter biting chill of a few weeks ago.
Ah, is this not happiness!
That is really amazing. I didn't realize it was so easy to make it at home. Dang, and then I could make buttermilk bread with the buttermilk. And put the fresh butter on it after it was done.
I better go find lunch now.
Thanks so much for the tutorial! Definitely doing this with the kids. I'm a bit tired of purifying salt water and that has been the science experiment of choice for quite some time now. Not that I wouldn't need fresh water if stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean, but I likely wouldn't have the pyrex bowl that we use handy on the boat anyway and the butter "experiment" has more immediate gratifications. ; )
Wow! Am I the only one who remembers doing this in elementary school? Doesn't mean I remember how to do it... I like Big Alice's idea... whoops my tummy is growling now.
Cza, I add the salt to the buttermilk before I strain out the curds. Most people add it after and use a paddle like device to smoosh it in. A rice paddle works great!
Heidi, exactly! I thought everyone knew how to make butter.
Big Alice, the chief problem in buttermaking is that is practically cries out for fresh bread.
Jo-Ann, almost nothing beats a saltine cracker with butter and jam....
Next week I am making grape jelly....
Will you be publishing "How to make Grape Jelly" next? Hope so. Looks like homemade butter this weekend to go with the homemade pasta.
Here I am! First in line for the grape jelly class. Came early to get a good seat.
Teacher's pet.
;-)
Oh, and I made butter a loooooong time ago...elementary school I believe. I think a mason jar was used and a lot of muscles...this sounds easier!
Getting in line for the grape jelly class (behind Jo-Ann, of course... she's such a teacher's pet! ;)
We have literally THOUSANDS of Concord grapes in our woods. The woods have gotten so dense in some places, that the birds don't even bother, either. So I'm ready!
Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe. I am never going to buy store butter again.
Post a Comment