Tonight we were looking at Doodle's baby book. We came to a page with hospital photos, including several of Crusty wearing a mask and gown in order to visit in the NICU. Doodle opened up an envelope and pulled out several photos of himself being held by Crusty. As we looked at them he gave each one a title.

This is me "borned"

This is me safe.

This is me scared.

This is me being dead.
We have never really talked to him about his hospital stay and we have never looked at these photos before. That last photo was taken an hour after he stopped breathing the first time. You can see the telemetry lines and oxygen monitor strapped to his foot. Looking at it now, I can clearly see that his lips are blue. Knowing what I know now I can also see that his head is in the same position that it was in when he stopped breathing in my arms while we were waiting to be discharged. He was dead in my arms. If we had not still been in the hospital within seconds of resuscitation he might not have survived. Crusty is holding him because I couldn't. I was a sobbing out of control mess. I didn't go back to the nursery for several hours. I just kept hoping that it was all over, that I had made it all up and we could go home. With or without a baby. I just wanted to go home. I remember screaming at the social worker that all I ever wanted was to go home, that I didn't want him, I didn't want any baby I just wanted to go home and pretend none of it had ever happened. All of this came after three years of trying to get pregnant, two miscarriages, three solid days of labour, a failed induction, an emergency c-section and the first dash to the NICU when I thought I saw blue around his mouth. ( Turns out I was right about that.) We spent nine more days in the NICU.
I know he is just reacting to the image. But still it makes me wonder how much we really do remember. Does he remember slowly suffocating in my arms? Does he remember that his mother didn't help him? Does he remember the nurse running down the hall with him? Does he remember that I was sick and couldn't touch him for days. Does he?
I can say with utmost certainty that at that moment, when I held him and watched him turn blue, that I was sick. Sicker than I had ever been in my life. Five days after he was born my whole world came crashing down. I was already exhibiting classic signs of Post Partum Depression. I knew what they were and I knew I was doing a pretty good job of hiding them. After he stopped breathing I couldn't hide it anymore. The hospital assigned a social worker to me 24/7 and I was sitting in a therapists office less than 24 hours later. If it hadn't been for that moment, that terrible moment when I watched it all happen like I wasn't even there, my PPD might not have been caught for weeks or months. I don't know what might have happened. But I suspect he saved us both.
My Mother sat by my bed for hours that first day. I had sobbed myself into exhaustion unable to comprehend what had happened and unsure if he was still alive. ( I believed they were all lying to me.) The first thing I remember is stirring in the bed and hearing my mothers voice. "I'm here Carmen". It's all she said, it might have been the most honest moment in the history of our relationship. She was there, waiting for me to come back. Between her and Auntie Jane's traveling circus waiting outside I did come back. It took a long time.
Four years later I still feel it. I can handle it now but some days those same feelings come right back. I am not the person I was before, but I suppose any parent can say that. On the days when I believe in a greater design and a universe that is not born of chaos. I believe that my Mother did not die when she should have, the April before, because she had to be there to bring me back. She only had six more months and they were not all happy. But she and I had that one moment. And we had the moment when I let her go.
I am happy to say that hearing Doodle talk about being dead, while creepy and uncomfortable, also allowed me to let go of a little bit of guilt. He is here to talk about it.
8 comments:
Oh Carmen, I don't even know where to begin. I knew it was a terrible time, but to actually hear you talk about it, in your own words...I'm sobbing.
You are such an incredibly strong woman, I'm in awe of you every day.
I remember every moment,including holding your sobbing Mom through the nights. I don't think any of us will forget any of those days but how happy are we that Bug and Crusty are here and cherish every laugh and giggle. I hope that his laughter helps ease your heart my dear friend.
I support wagoose5's position. What didn't happen didn't happen and never will. I have vague memories of an event when I was tiny where I was nearly trampled to death by a horse, but it didn't adversely affect my life - I didn't know what was happening and so had no anxiety. It was the adults who were there who were scarred - not me.
I'm crying now but wanted to send you my hugs and my love. You are so much more than that tape that plays in your head. I pray that you will one day find the balm to heal that place of doubt and fear.
(((Carmen))) I don't know a better mother than you. I truly don't. And he is here to talk about it.
Mothers are made for those moments. I don't know about plans or chaos, but I know she was meant to be there for you and you were meant to be there your boys. No doubt.
Every day, I am thankful that you and Doodle are here with us. I am thankful that the two of you have travelled out of the darkness together. You and Doodle have passed through something very primal and elemental. There is great strength in that.
Thank you so much for sharing your and Doodle's stories. I pray that it helps the darkness seem even further behind you.
Thank you for sharing. Your words have bought tears to my eyes as well. You are an incredible mother!
Carmen, you are an amazing mom, storyteller, and person. I wish I knew just the right words.
Hugs to you (and Crusty and Doodle, and Patrick). You are an inspiration to me.
Post a Comment