Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Biggest Kitchen Table - Canning and Preserving.


This is a post in Rhonda's Biggest Kitchen Table series. The idea is to share what you know about a specific subject in your blog/on the Internet. The way our Great Grandmothers would have done around the kitchen table. This months subject is preserving food. We are new at preserving our own food and have only been doing it in any serious way for the past year or so. Mostly we preserve fruits and vegetables, though I am working up to canning shelf stable butter and might try my hand at pickled fish later in the year when the fishing fleet comes back and fish is cheap and plentiful at our favourite dock.

Currently the home preserved stocks are pretty low at our house. Here in the Northern Hemisphere winter is nearly over and the spring vegetables are just starting, we are eating everything that we harvest. Overwintered carrots and beets, a few leaves of chard are all that has come out of the garden in the past month. We do still have several gallon bags of rhubarb, green beans, tomato sauce and vegetable stock in the freezer, several jars of green tomato pickle, sweet pepper relish, plum butter, dried tomatoes in oil, pumpkin butter, cherry jam (it must have been lost, there is no way it would have survived this long) and the newly canned GRAPE JELLY! I cannot tell how excited I am about the grape jelly. It's pretty silly really, since we didn't even grow the grapes, and not terribly sustainable since I used commercially prepared juice, but man is it good!

The best thing I have come across in a long time is a book called "Don't throw it, Grow it!" by Deborah Peterson. It's a way of growing greens from root vegetable tops, tops that you might otherwise feed to the worms, compost or **Gasp** throw away! We work too hard for our vegetables around here, we throw nothing away. Usually all vegetable scraps ( carrot peels and ends, onion skins, mushroom ends, green bean ends, beet roots etc..) go into a freezer container where they wait to become vegetable stock. Every meal, I put a few scraps in and usually by the end of the week there is enough to make a small pot of stock. I add the scraps to a saucepan and cover with water. I also add a good pinch of salt and pepper. I leave this to simmer, adding more water as necessary for at least two hours, sometimes longer depending on how long I am at home. Then I pour the cup or two of stock into another freezer container. Over the course of a month I can make 6-10 cups of delicious vegetable stock for use in cooking grains, or making gravy. There is really nothing quite like it. The spent vegetable matter then goes to compost.

Now after reading the Shibaguyz take on "Don't throw it, grow it!" I just might have to keep out some of the root vegetable tops and see if I can't grow my own fancy micro green jungle.

I know some of you are waiting for the grape jelly post.....patience grasshoppers! I have to make sure it jells before I can tell you how fantastic it is.

6 comments:

Big Alice said...

Ha, and you used to be in fear of making jam. Dang!

Rhonda Jean said...

I love that way of preserving everything you can. Making stock from the things most people throw away shows me you've the kind of frugal mindset that will help you through the tough times. Thank you for taking your place at the kitchen table. I enjoyed your post very much.

Jan Hatchett said...

Sounds like you are doing lots of frugal and good things. Grape jam sure sounds yummy! Can't wait to check back for the blog post when it gels.

Anonymous said...

It never occurred to me to save my scraps in the freezer like you do. I think this is one of the best things I have in a very long time so thank you! You also have a great blog. I enjoyed reading it.

Heidi said...

Veggie stock is that easy! Wow! I thought it was some complicated thing that I would never be able to accomplish!

So question for you - I sent you an email about this but didn't hear from you - would you like an Amish Friendship bread starter? It is one of those starters you have to tend and then do something with every few days. The bread itself is yummy - kind of like coffee cake - might be tasty toasted with the grape jelly!

Now I must return to my underground lair to continue studying for the certification test!

Hippy Goodwife said...

Hey, Big Alice. It's all your fault really. I had to start making jam when my personal Jam fairy moved out of state.....

Thanks for stopping by, Rhonda and Jan. It's been fun to read what everyone else is up to.

Linda and Heidi, veg stock is the easiest thing ever! It makes all sorts of things really, really tasty. You can get fancy and roast everything first, but I never bother. And yes, please Heidi, I would love some of the starter.