Monday, July 21, 2008

Black Cherry Balsamic preserves.


We beat the birds to the cherry tree this year and harvested a large bucket of sweet tart black pie cherries! They are delicious out of hand but are even more delicious when made into preserves. We have been eating it on every sort of bread imaginable. I added a big scoop to our berry shortcake desert last night too. Holy cherries Batman! That was good!

I don't have a recipe but here's what I did. 4-5 lbs tart cherries pitted and chopped + one large handful sweet cherries ( I used Nam cherries from the farmer's market.) Cook the cherries with one packet sure-jell pectin until the back of a cold spoon coats thickly ( I keep a spoon in cold water near the stove and check every few minutes.) Measure how much mass you have and add 3/4 that amount of sugar. I had 4 cups of cherries so I added 3 cups of plain white sugar. Return to pot and add 2 Tbls good balsamic vinegar . Cook another 5-8 minutes. Stir often, don't walk way.

Process according to pectin directions in pint jars or freeze in very clean plastic containers.

Presto! Delicious! Cherry and sweet and surprising. The cherry tree was covered in birds this morning. We were just in time!

5 comments:

CzaMama said...

it sounds delectable!!! I'm drooling at the thought!

Muganoot Mommy said...

Fresh cherries are reason 1-10 of why I would love to live in the Pacific Northwest. But add balsamic vinegar to that.... holy cow. I think I just swooned.

Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous!!! YUM! I missed Washington cherries when I was down in CA, and I'm so glad to have them again.

Hey, I stopped by to see what you were up to (great things of course!) and to see if you might be interested in a local blogger get-together. I've just posted about it on my new blog - will you come by and let me know?

Heidi said...

Drooling all over my desk now! So got any good recipes for onion compote or jam?

I'm headed east of the mountains on Friday. Need anything? There might be cherries...

Must mop up the drool now!

Cheers!

vermontmommy said...

Yum! I am still in awe of all that you have made. Think of all the memories you are making for you and your children. Love such things.