Friday, July 18, 2008

Who are you raising?

Today Doodle and I had a very unsettling experience in the parking lot of a neighborhood grocer. We were leaving the store and the car in front of us stopped to read the signs on the "Jesus" bus. It's a local oddity that is covered with verses from the new testament. No problem. They were not moving and there was plenty of room so I went around. I didn't rev the engine, I didn't swing in front of them, I just went around. Apparently this was too much for their itty bitty brains. They pulled up and cut me off. They called me a variety of vile names. They were standing in front of the car and there was nowhere for me to go. After pounding on their car and pounding on mine and more swearing, the car behind me moved and I was able to back up and go around them. I drove for several blocks before I was brave enough to pull over and call 911. The dispatcher said they had not actually broken any law and even if they could find them there was nothing to be done. I knew this, but I called anyway. If they had actually threatened me then there would be something to go on, as it stands they were stupid, and vile but not in violation of any law. After I was done shaking I drove around for awhile, afraid to go home. I knew they were not following me, but still, I was afraid to go home to the empty house.

My question is this, who are these people? Whose world is so small that screaming obscenities at a woman and her child is acceptable? What sort of parenting produces this sort of crap? Do they have children of their own? They were two men, late 20's early 30's driving an unremarkable mid sized SUV in the middle of the afternoon at a neighborhood grocery store. What would you do if this was your grown son? grandson? brother? Would you listen to their story and say "Good on you, you told that b*tch where to go?" Would be shocked? Would you say anything? Who are you raising?*

*apologies to all the non parents who read this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that really stinks! I'm so sorry that happened to you, especially with doodle in the car. You need to go have some chocolate and watch an old black and white movie and try forget there are idiots like that in the world....and maybe some cookies, yeah cookies.

Anonymous said...

Or lemon bars. Or lemon drops!

CzaMama said...

They are most likely acting just as their parents act/ed...appauling. There is no excuse for behavior like that, not any time and not in anyone's "name." How awful for you, and Doodle...are you both okay?

Anytime things like this happen and children are in the car, I think it makes it *that* much worse. My mama bear flaired up the other day too when our car was approached.

hugs to you and Doodle...and poo on those weirdos!

Seumas Gagne said...

Please don't apologize to your non-parent readers - at least not to me! It's an issue concerning all of civil society.

It was an unthinkable breach of standards for behaviour, public or private, but the deeper question remains for me; what were they upset about?

Heidi said...

And I say amen Uncle Seumas!