Tuesday, July 01, 2008

It was a close call.


Doodle started Circus School today. After following the stupid internet directions ( kiss my butt expedia) we were 15 minutes late and I was having a meltdown of Mama proportion, 'cause you all know how I like to be late. We walked in and three year old Lulu was hanging by her feet from a trapeze. Doodle was not impressed, the combination of a tense 20 minutes in the car and the new gym and the upside down girl was just too much, he would have nothing to do with this nonsense.

Luckily for us the coach had a few tricks up her sleeve and in a few minutes he was working the room. Front rolls down a ramp, bear walks on the elevated beams, handstands ( with feet on the wall) rope swings and eventually the trapeze. He had a ball! I love that the school is a non profit, the tuition is very reasonable and their philosophy is that anything that can be made safe, can be done. No competition, no pushy parents and no peanuts!

I was astounded to see the three students in Doodle's class ( including him and all under the age of four) taking turns, following instruction and excelling! tuck, straddle, pike. In order, on the trampoline. Very exciting! Parents watch from a loft above the gym floor.

I hope it sticks, I hope this is somewhere that he can go to gain some confidence in his body. Something both his Dad and I lack. I hope this will provide him some skill to match his daredevil attitude. Maybe he'll even inspire Crusty to give it a shot. I really don't want him to grow up like me, to be the last kid picked, to be the slowest all the time. I know it's only the first day, but so far so good! I guess I will only have myself to blame if he runs away to join the circus. At least I'll know where to look.
Don't worry, the firehat was in the car. No hats allowed at Circus School!

4 comments:

Janine said...

Wow. Sounds fantastic C! I am so glad doodle enjoyed himself!

CzaMama said...

AWESOME!!! We want to have CiBaby take a round of circus school here too. I think it would be such a blast for her!

Heidi said...

OOHHHH! The Circus - Well if he does run away to join the circus, there are some really interesting ones out there. Hopefully when Doodle is old enough to see them, Circus Contraption will still be around.

Sounds like so much fun!

(Speaking of the circus - did you see the article about the giraffe that helped zebras, llamas and some other animals escape from a zoo in Holland?)

Heidi said...

I meant the giraffe helped other animals escape from a circus not a zoo. Need - more - coffee!