Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The Cherry Recipe post.



I confess the photos are pretty thin since the locusts I live with tend to eat everything the minute it hits the table....but here are a few of the things that we have been doing with our abundance of cherries.

Cherry Balsamic Jam. The same one I made last year. But double the number of jars and there are still more cherries to pick. Must crack the whip on those boys...

Cherry, chocolate chip pancakes.

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large handfuls of semi sweet chocolate chips.
  • 2 cups pitted, chopped sweet cherries.
Mix all dry ingredients together, stir in milk and oil until just combined. Cook in a lightly oiled med hot pan. Flip once. Top with more chopped cherries.


Cherry syrup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1-1/2 cups stemmed pitted large ripe dark cherries
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a saucepan over high heat combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar and water and stir until the sugars dissolve. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add cherries then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract and simmer for 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let cool. Excellent on chocolate cake, in hot chocolate or coffee, poured over ice cream......

We have also frozen the juice in ice pop molds, eaten them off the tree and are contemplating making some cherry vodka to go with the plum wine from last years harvest.

Up next...RASPBERRIES!
Sorry to run, but I have cherries to eat!

2 comments:

Muganoot Mommy said...

That's it. I'm moving to Washington State. Cherries alone are worth the relocation!

YUMMMY!

Nina said...

I have serious cherry envy!