Wednesday, November 05, 2008

yum. Mushroom and Barley Soup.

Vegan, kosher, vegetarian, low fat, cheap and totally yummy

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil (or any light cooking oil)
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms ( I used crimini)
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 quarts mushroom broth or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup whole barley
  • 2 teaspoons salt

Preparation

Coarsely chop mushrooms.

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, sauté the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.

Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring constantly for a minute or two

Add stock and turn heat to high

Add barley

Simmer, covered, for about an hour or until the barley is tender and the soup is thickened, stirring often.

Serve with cracked pepper and crusty bread. Leftovers thicken up enough to be fabulous filling for small hand pies. yum-o!


I'd show you pictures but we ate it all.

3 comments:

Big Alice said...

Yum, that sounds fabulous. Thanks for the recipe, I'm all over the soup lately.

Katerina said...

Sounds yummy

Anonymous said...

mmmm looks like I know what to make for dinner this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.