Using a surplus projector Patrick got some old family films up and running. Wow! The films date from the 1930's. There is a whole reel of a PowWow and Rodeo in Pendelton Oregon. Amazing footage of draft horses, oxen teams and a huge Native American gathering There is also some relatively rare footage of the native fishing grounds on the Columbia. These were flooded when the dams went in and are still much contested in this part of the world. Crusty was very interested in the dam construction and the Rodeo. We also saw logging in the Northern California Redwoods, mining in Nevada and a huge horse drawn combine harvesting grain in Idaho. There were at least 20 horses teemed together. Just incredible! There is some stunning footage of the 1939 Worlds Fair on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay.
There are images of my Grandmother( that's her in the header photo, 5th from the right, front row) disembarking a silver prop plane, walking across the tarmac to her waiting parents, brief and very moving footage of my Grandfather marching off to war in 1943. Just a treasure trove of moments. I am just in awe! These were not shot on a handycam! This was a huge heavy camera. The footage is all in great shape!
My favourite shot is of my Grandparents returning to their hometown after getting married in a neighboring state. He mother ducks out of the frame in the beginning of the shot. It's 11 seconds of pure bliss for them. I know their marriage was not popular with my grandmothers family, likely not popular in my Grandfathers family either. But here, in this very brief moment all is well.
Someday I may be able to write more eloquently about this but right now, it's a visceral, emotional reaction. I am so grateful to all the hands these films have passed through, all the boxes and basements and attics that kept them safe. I would venture that there are not many boys in Crusty's school who have actually seen their great, great, great grandfather moving and working and smiling for the camera.
Click on the thumbnail below to see my smiling grandparents.

1 comment:
That is really awesome, Carmen! What a gift! And I had already picked out your grandmother from your header photo! Well, I didn't know it was your grandmother, but I knew it was someone related to you! The resemblance to you is remarkable! I loved seeing the video, too!! Thanks for sharing!
~ Cyn <3
Post a Comment