
Tasha Tudor 1915-2008.
I learned this morning that Tasha Tudor died on Wednesday, in her home. I have loved her illustrations since I was old enough to hold a book. Despite my post modernist view, somewhere deep in my heart I wanted to live in Corgi Cottage, with her animals, her corgi's and all that beautiful food! Tasha Tudor's world is peaceful and in tune with nature, celebrating the seasons as they come. Unrushed. He book "Pumpkin Moonshine" is a long time favourite around here. Tasha was a friend of Jack's; and any friend of his was a friend of mine.
In her book "Take Joy" she reprinted and abridged version of this famous letter by Fra Giovanni. I think it is a fitting tribute.
I salute you.
There is nothing I can give you which you have not.
But there is much, that, while I cannot give it, you can take.
No heaven can come to us unless our hearts find rest in it today.
Take heaven!
No peace lies in the future which is not hidden in this present little instant.
Take peace!
Take peace!
The gloom of the world is but a shadow. Behind it, yet within our reach, is joy.
Take Joy!
And so, at this time, I greet you, with the prayer that for you, now and forever, the day breaks and shadows flee away.
Coincidentally, Patrick read these words at my mother's funeral.
1 comment:
Oh no! And what an inspiration she was and will continue to be.
What a beautiful picture you found as well!
And in honor of the season - Merry Summer.
Dinner? mojitos? something when I get back from vacation?
Post a Comment