That's Rob Reiner playing Archie Bunkers son-in-law, Michael "Meathead" Stivic. I loved All in the Family. Still do. However in the knitiverse ( like that? I made it up) Meathead refers to a pattern from Larissa Brown's book Knitalong. It's like knitters right of passage ( along with Monkey socks and a clapotis, more on those later) I love the Meatheads, they have their own flickr and Ravelry groups. Who doesn't love a pointy hat! Fellow blogger, knitter and spinner extraordinaire Dragonfly Ducky recently put some art yarn up in her Etsy shop. It's all textured and slubby and twisty ( might even say dark and twisty...) with bright green leaves and lady bug plied into the yarn. Not being a spinner, I have no idea how this is done. It might be magic, or fairies. In any case it's gorgeous! It arrived in record time! After drooling over it ( and the extra! Thanks again Kerstin, really really generous!) I threw it on the needles and had my very own Meathead by bedtime. Doodle adores it, he puts it on, takes it off, wears it all around ( tried to put it on over the firehelmet...) points out the ladybugs. It's really perfect for his gnomey foresty self. The handspun ( or maybe my tension) doesn't allow for the clarity of stitches that most meatheads have, but I think the texture and the leaves more than make up for it. I made the adult small ( small boy, big head) and it fits with a lot of stretch and room to grow. The fabric is not really tight which works out for us since we almost never face really, really cold weather. This will give his noggin a chance to breathe a bit. All the leaves and ladybugs landed it nice places on the hat. It's really the luck of the draw ( and Ducky's skill) that put them just where they need to be.
Now I just have to put it somewhere so I can find it again in the fall.......
16 comments:
Might I perhaps get a copy of this pattern from you? I am off to the Oregon coast later this month with Mr. R. and my mom and am looking for a project to work on!
Super cute!!! I so see the future...a little green peeking from under the fireman's helmet in the heat of July.
Now, are you saying those leaves are part of the yarn??? HOW DOES THAT WORK? In any case, super cute -- but don't let him get lost in the woods; you'll never find him!
Now that hat is cute. So are you!
From the land of hippies,
Grace(kitty) from Rav
What a gorgeous little boy you have!
I just love that hat on him, he looks like a woodsprite (not that I see them often these days ;-) )
zz from the mk, ok? x
Jane, yup. The leaves and ladybugs are part of the yarn. I don't know how she does it but Ducky usually stops by here so maybe she will answer your question. It's pretty cool how they all just landed in the right spot though.
Grace and ZZ, did you think I wouldn't know ya? geeez.
That is fantastic. How cute is that boy in that hat! I have a feeling you won't be putting that away - he'll be wearing it proudly all summer long.
FYI. There was discussion this morning that involved you being my hippy hero. ♥
geez Jo-ann. I am really not a very good role model. I swear too much and bathe too often to be a really good hippie.
I don't know when I last saw you in a long, flowing skirt or hand-woven garment, either.
Carm, I was on the other end of that conversation Jo-Ann is talking about.... and we both agree that you're the coolest hippy we ever met. I think I can safely speak for both of us when I say we want to be you when we grow up!
And meathead was michael sTivic. Please don't impune the meathead. :)
Mel
my apologies Mel, I'll correct it. I'll let you know when I'm grown up enough to be someones idea of who they want to be when they grow up.
Jane, there was that rainbow coloured circle skirt...with the fringe.
Oh soooooo cute! I love love love the hat, but your son is just the cutest!
To get the leaves and ladybugs in the yarn I strung them on thread ahead of time and plied it (twisted it in) with the yarn I spun. You can get all sorts of stuff into your yarn that way....I have even seen toy cars spun into yarn!
6555555555555555555yyyy6
/s/ Sabot the cat
Don't panic! The comment from Sabot the cat is my cat. He was walking on Mr. R's laptop while Mr. R was reading the comments. Both Mr R and Sabo like the hat!
no worries, Sabot and Mr. R have the same writting style ;) I knew who it was!
I did wonder how Sabot got the laptop open though....
. . . or how he typed his name so neatly.
But about the leaves in the yarn, I was just thinking that knitting around them would awfully tricky! I clearly underestimate the trickyness of the knitters around me.
Post a Comment