This week we inherited a plot in our local P-Patch Community Garden. Lucky for us the previous gardener left a bounty of overwintered crops. Doodle and I walked up today and harvested, kale, rainbow chard, rhubarb, rappini, and a surprise handful of overwintered potatoes. yum! I also dug in some more compost removed old plants and planted two short rows of broccoli romanesco ( thanks, Czamastergarderner). It's a smallish plot but will be a great addition to the south side garden ( lemon cucumber, hops, strawberries, scarlet runner beans, garlic, summer squash and tomatoes) and the raised beds ( cherry tomatoes, carrots, salad greens, nasturtiums) and the pumpkin patch on the hill. whew! I still have some things to get in the ground this week and more seeds are on the way. I had better find some more time to get out in the garden!
5 comments:
All you gardens sound wonderful! I'm jealous of your chard...can't find it anywhere here. Your pie is making me run outside to pick some rhubarb now...must have rhubarb.
How awesome!!! What a huge bonus!
I'm glad the romanesco is growing...I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.
Congrats on the P-Patch! (I was going to ask you if you wanted to go in on one maybe next year but seems you are taken care of) And the bonus of a harvest to boot! MMMM Rhubarb pie...
You're such an NPR nerd. Where do you get the energy to do these things ?!? I didn't even water my tiny garden today. Ack. I'm impressed.
mmm... can I have a piece? I'll bring the really good vanilla ice cream!
Post a Comment