This has been big controversy weekend here at the dinner table. It started with a discussion of dinosaurs and evolution that ended with The Daddy reading from Genesis. (You can get up off the floor now.) A Bible is a rare thing in this house, I wasn't even certain that we had one! But we did and a useful explanation of what many people believe was had. While we are believers in evolution it is important to us that the boys know all the angles. We are also believers in lively, civilized debate.
The next evening’s dinner featured a discussion of prejudice and myopia. Crust’s Mom is getting married and some of her family will not be attending the wedding because their views differ from hers. We were trying to explain that some people see only their own views and are not able or willing to consider some else’s view. We were talking about prejudice, race, gender and sexual orientation. I said something to Crusty about how some groups think that gay people are bad, wrong or broken. He said, “It sounds like they are the ones that are bad, wrong and broken." Here! Here! Crusty. I guess maybe he has been paying attention all these years.
Our dinner time conversations are not always like this, sometimes it's just math homework and magic tricks.
3 comments:
ITA w/Crusty. In many instances, it is the others who are wrong. I hope it is that they are uneducated, but that isn't always the case.
You always make me so proud to call you friend. Crusty shows wisdom beyond his years. When I think of great kids like him, and my own of course, ruling the world one day it gives me HOPE!
Kids see things clearly. Go Crusty!
Post a Comment