Tuesday, February 19, 2008

HOPE


Hope as political propaganda. I guess there are worse things. Like fear. I am still not 100% behind Barack Obama, my deeply felt feminist beliefs keep trying to overrule my emotions. As much as I want to love Hillary Clinton, as much as I want my boys to grow up in a world where girls can be President too, I just don't think it is her time. I think she is still too close to the establishment in which I am so bitterly disappointed. Hope, it is a mighty, mighty thing. My greatest fear about this election is not that the Democratic nominee might lose because frankly, anyone, ANYONE would be great improvement. My greatest fear is that Barack Obama will win and in turn be ruined by the presidency, that we will have lost a man who could have done a greater good in some less visible office. Imagine this man in charge of Health and Human Services? As Secretary of State? Think of the possibilities. It is my greatest HOPE for this election that he will win and glory in the office, that he will be effective in bringing about the very real change that this country needs, that he will help to repair our reputation in the world, that he will find ways to feed, clothe and care for all of our citizens, the most vulnerable and the able, that he will find creative and long lasting solutions to immigration reform, the dissolution of the middle class, the war in Iraq and beyond. That he will somehow begin to repair the damage brought on by seven years of fear mongering, war crimes and lies. That the office of President of the United States will make him stronger and better and in turn make us stronger and better. I HOPE! And for that reason I support Barack Obama. It is a conflicted support, but it's all I've got.

5 comments:

Wishupon said...

As always, so well put. I have learned in this election season that I am not immune to the fear mongering of the past 8 years. As much as I have tried to convince myself that I was, the pit in my stomach over election season has proved otherwise. I'm afraid of elections now. I don't trust the process, I have no faith in the outcome.
I am happy with both Dem candidates for different reasons. And I am hopeful for both: one for the reasons you mentioned, the other for the Hope I see in Emma Jane's eyes as she proudly wears her Hillary pin (that she sought out with great purpose) and takes notice when the election is covered on the news. Seems that she has caught the political bug all on her own, just like Mom - God help her!).

Seumas Gagne said...

I still think Hillary would make a better president. She takes it on the chin for being a skilled politician - somehow I think that if a man were doing what she is he would be 'savvy' rather than 'calculating.'

Barack? Doesn't do much for me, quite frankly. He might be good at exciting 20-somethings with little to no understanding of how the world works, but out in the international sphere, he doesn't stand a chance.

So, we'll vote for Barack and he'll fail and then it will be back to Republicans. Yay Democrats. Morons.

Hippy Goodwife said...

Why so cheery today Uncle Seumas?

Anonymous said...

They are all politicians, after all.

capperoo said...

Hi there - just wandered over to your blog from craftster. Just thought you seemed like a kindred spirit. I couldn't agree more about our candidates. I am usually so able to choose someone to support. This time, it's not so easy. It looks like Obama is pulling ahead and I'm not 100% happy about it. I really like both of them, but against each other, it's a hard choice.