Pretty Princess Pegasus.
This was made Princess Deedee's birthday, a special request. The girl stands about 7" high and her sparkly skirt is removable. I am not all that thrilled with the Pegasus, but he/she gets the job done. The wings are the best part. It is all hand sewn and the wings are this fiddly white sparkle fabric, over pink wool felt. It was a gift way back in January and seems to be still in one piece!
Owl Cable Cloth
These were part of a Craftster Swap. It was my first time trying to cable anything. I love the little owl cable, I just think he is too cute. I dyed the cotton myself (note to self: Don't so that again.) it went so perfectly with the Elmore Pisgah variegated. I almost kept them. BTW, hand knit cotton wash cloths are the best for scrubbing all sorts of things, from glass to potatoes.
Pencil Case for a Dread Pirate.
The Dread Pirate Crusty loves to draw. I made him this pencil case from inexpensive black wool, knit then felted and embellished with a needle felted skull and cross bones. There is a tiny bit of angelina fibre mixed in with the wool roving. Doesn't everyone need a sparkly red skull to take to school? The case holds six purple pencils, with Crusty's name on them. I had the hardest time knitting that black wool, it is truly just garter stitch but the only needles I had that were near the right size are these horrible plastic things that I bought before I knew better. They fought me at every stitch! The pattern is free from Lion Brand Yarn if you are interested.
Farm Boy.
Doodle loves farms. Anything to do with animals and "squarecrows" is a good time. I found this cute playmat in Debbie Bliss Knit Toys and knew it would be a big project. I scaled it down quite a bit. The mat I knit is six squares, not 12. And I changed up the yarn colours quite a bit. I also left out the stone walls and hedges. I still have one fence on the needles but it will have to wait. Fortunately, Doodle loves it anyway. I also added a pond to the mat, critters need their water! I backed the mat with some dark green wool felt, it's like a tiny knit quilt. Very cozy!
I did not do all of the animals listed either, one sheep, a cow, a pig and some piglets ( in cotton, not wool. Does anyone make a pig coloured wool?) the chicken has been around for a while, likewise the duck. I made a scarecrow too, just a simple yarn dolly with some felt clothes.
It all fits into the barn bag nicely, great for trips to the doctor or in the car. By far the most time consuming of my holiday gifts, but not really all that hard.
Betsy.
Betsy is a tribute to a very, very good dog who went to the great big dog beach in the sky this year. She was the best stick and squirrel chaser ever. And too smart for her own good. This little tribute was a gift to Betsy's human. A truer friend there has never been. Betsy is just about the size of my hand and fully pose able. She is made from 100% sheep wool over a wire armature. Her stick came from the apple tree in our yard and her collar is satin with sequin stars. Betsy was hard to get right but I love her and am happy she has found a place of honor in her new home.
Nests for friends.
I made five if these for some of the nicest funniest women you will ever meet. They are a simple felted nest knit from alpaca, with three needle felted robins egg blue eggs. They are mounted on a small branches from our apple trees. I made them all the same way, but they turned out so very different, just like the women they were made for.
So that's it, a little crafty round up. I'd love to hear what you think, unless of course you think I have sold my soul to crocheted T.P covers and dolls made from coffee filters.....
10 comments:
I feel so inadequate and dull! ;^p
I love Betsy.
And I thought I was clever (blush)
do you want some pig coloured wool? I am kintting Olivia a cardy in the softest pink. Grant said it reminded him of the piglets on the farm when he was growing up... I would be happy to put some in the post!!
I am not sure I even have a favourite, although I love the nests!!
Still trying to convince Grant I need a "branch" in our house!
beautiful! I especially love Betsy and the nests.
Your Besty is just wonderful! I really love your farm and nests too. Yo make such wonderful creative things!
Thanks everyone! J-9, I would love some pig coloured wool! and Ducky, I love, love, love your binary socks! I have my own little geekling that would love them too.....someday.......
Wow, those are gorgeous! I love Betsy and the pencil case. The farm mat is pretty dang cute, too. It's all great. I'm in awe because I have limited patience and not much hand-eye coordination for the tiny closeup work like that (and don't mention socks, 'cause those are just knit stitch round and round and round and round.)
yes, Big Alice, but it is rounds and rounds of knit stitch on size 0fricken needles! and lets not even talk about lace......
You are quite the crafty lady! Lovely projects! I really need to learn to knit; your projects inspire me!
Stop it!!! I mean it - you are far too resourceful and clever. You're giving me a complex. It was the nests that put me over...I LOVE them!
Now go be boring and lame so I'll feel better. <3
You are a true inspiration in so many ways. Nice work LadyJane!
Post a Comment