Friday, January 04, 2008

Better than snake oil.



I have been battling a wicked case of Vertigo for over a month. I finally had time to go to the MD and she diagnosed Benign Positional Vertigo and sent me to a physical therapist. Apparently little bits of cholesterol and other stuff can shear off inside your cochlea, bang around in there and cause you to feel like the walls are jelly and you might vomit in your shoes. The PT did an Epley maneuver (sounds like she was parking a jeep or something) It was the coolest thing. The first time, serious nausea and dizziness, violent rapid eye movements and completely involuntary bad words. The second time, nada, zip, cured! It was the wildest thing I think I have ever experienced in a doctors office. Just like magic that little piece of whatever went back to it's place and all was well in my inner ear. Last night for the first time in over a month I did not feel like I was going to get sick when I went to bed.








The moral of this story? Listen to your husband and go to the doctor once in a while, it just might work!

4 comments:

Wecare4much said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better! Yeah for Dr. Epley! I'm just as stubborn as you about going to see someone. I will admit that every time I read "vertigo" the U2 song goes off in my head. I'm not even the friend that is married to the Edge. lol

Suzy said...

i dont' know anything about elpy manuvers. i think he should get a medal if he can take care of vertigo.

CzaMama said...

Awesome! I'm so happy you are feeling better and it didn't take snake oil. keke

Crafty P said...

hmmmm, so glad I read that AND that you posted that. Maybe that is my issue. I am constantly feeling dizzy. I don't know. I'll have to look into that.

My dh is always telling me to go to the dr.'s, too. SO I finally said, AND WHEN WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO DO THAT? there's never time and I'm never alone! but I guess we make time for what's important!