Saturday, January 26, 2008

Yep, Heidi. It's a winner.


Lady of Leisure, Mistress Portobello Banana was here on Friday, hanging out, knitting and making sheep from stuffing with a Doodle. While he was occupied I put together an icebox cake that is making the rounds as the new internet darling. It's just the recipe from the side of the box of Nabisco Classic Chocolate Wafer Cookies. But my oh my, is it good. It took me a whole ten minutes, including whipping the cream. We had it for dessert tonight and holy cow was I surprised. Somehow the refrigerator magically turns crispy not too sweet cookies and whipped cream into cake. It's magic! It's alchemy! It's delicious. Go and nobake one today!


The cookies themselves were a little bit of an adventure. According to internet legend they are elusive. I was tempted to order them online, but could not get anyone to confirm that they were peanut safe. I needed to see the box. I had a few minutes before I picked Doodle up from school on Tuesday so I stopped by the trashy grocer near his school. Not only did they have the cookies, I was able to call the product information number and determine that they were safe for us to eat, and ( drum roll please.....) I had an old gift card for that store in my wallet! I tell you fates wanted me to have those cookies.


Here is the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, it is the same as the one on the box, just a different shape. Mine was no where near as pretty but it was damn tasty.

10 comments:

Wecare4much said...

I haven't made that for years. It was a staple growing up when Mom had unexpected company. Those wafers are easy to come by up here. Let me know if they become scarce and I'll send them down with Doodle's peanut free contraband from the Great White North (which will go in the mail Monday).

Anonymous said...

Yum! It looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

Mmm . . . creamy. I want to try it with rum and coffee. Not a traditional tira-mi-su, but then, I'm not a traditional Italian! What if you dyed the cream pink? Would that be a good Valentine?

CzaMama said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds yummy! Great idea for Valenties "Not-as-Wheezy"!

I wonder, if it's hard to come but those particular wafers you could use the Anna's Swedish Thins...you could make a glorious number of different combos! http://www.annasthins.ca/pages/products_us.htm

Anonymous said...

Aha! I've only had the ginger ones, which I love -- I bet a ginger cream icebox cake would be tasty!

Seumas Gagne said...

Oh.

I see.

There's another hand in the peanut-free cookie jar.

And I thought *I* was the cookie smuggler in this outfit. Silly me.

Hippy Goodwife said...

Never fear Unclse Seumas, wecare4much sends a whole 'nother kind of contraband! ssshhh.....

and can I just say the it is a little wierd that you all are talking to each other....

CzaMama said...

Why, is it like the voices in your head are now conversing with eachother? ;-)

Wecare4much said...

I'm still trying to figure out how to send ice cream sandwiches. ;)

I'm happy that Doodle has so many people in his smuggling ring.

Hippy Goodwife said...

Just like that Cza~ Only the voices in my head swear more.

Ker, I am still hoarding one lone icecream sandwich for Doodle for the school event this Spring!~