Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Plastic Bags are Evil.

Despite my green around the gills crunchiness I have never thought much about plastic bags. We use reusable grocery bags and really there are very few plastic bags around the house. The few we had from quick trips to the store or trips to places like....oh...Target that get all wiggy when you bring your own bag, were hanging out in the pantry in a big paper bag. I never thought about them. We use them to contain the unmanageable stinky diaper or to pick up dog droppings. Other than that they languish, forgotten with the half read newspapers and junkmail just waiting for someone to remember to recycle them.



Today I bought a shirt a big box place and was hanging it up in my closet, Doodle was playing on the bed. Out of the blue RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! he picked up the bag and put it over his head. All the way over his head, like totally covering his head. Just like all those ads and dry cleaner bag warnings and packages and, well, just like all that stuff says. I couldn't believe it. I snatched it away and gave him my best pissed off/scared Mama glare. This kid has never even paid any attention to the plastic bags. Nada. Not once and then bang the whole tamale, all the way over his head!



So, the bags clearly needed a more secure home. Like any desperate to have it over with, I am not going to the store to buy something ( that no doubt has it's own warning label), Get these things out of my site Mama. I hit up the old crafty department for a fix. Five minutes, one Jameson Canister and some packing tape later Tada! My own nifty plastic bag cozy. I cut off both ends of the canister, and taped the offending target bag in at the top and bottom, cut a hole in the bottom and loaded the other bags inside. Works a treat! I am now on the hunt for other bags that might be trying to escape.



So lock up your bags. You never know when your kid is going to actually do what it tells them too.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Doddle's isn't going to do anything half way is he!

Muganoot Mommy said...

Slainte!

kimberly/tippytoes said...

Great idea!

Miss French Jessica said...

I've had my kiddos do the same thing as Doodle did with plastic bags! Scared the pants right off me. Like you, our plastic bags are far out of their curious little reach. Love your cozy!