Saturday, November 24, 2007

Casting On.



Big Alice came to town this weekend and we spent an afternoon casting on my very first sock. I realize this may not be exciting for everyone but hey, it's a big deal for me. In order to feel like real knitter ( and not just a knitter of toys and platypi) I need to knit socks. Useful, pretty, warm... not just another thing in my house. Socks. Yes. At the rate I am going it might be 2009 before this sock gets done. There are a few billion other things that need doing first. Here is the beginning of my sock ( in Big Alice's own lovely hand dyed chocolate covered cherries) posing with the table candle.

All half and inch or so of ribbing. See that, knitting with five needles. Very pokey that sock.
In other shocking knitting news I find that I am completely inept at continental knitting. I can see how it is much faster and more efficient, blah, blah, blah...but my hands just don't seem to be able to manage it. Oh well, knitting in the cool style will have to wait.

2 comments:

kimberly/tippytoes said...

It looks good so far. Socks are supposed to be difficult, so I wish you well. But the beautiful yarn should be an inspiration to keep moving ahead.

Big Alice said...

You're doing great. Learning to knit in the round on a bunch of fiddly little DPNs PLUS trying to learn a new knitting style at the same time is a sure recipe for crazy making. Socks take me forever to do, but they do get done eventually. One round is one round closer to the end :)