Monday, October 13, 2008

This is how it should be.


This weekend we went to a kids parade in support of Barack Obama and Joe Biden. It was filled with homemade signs and balloons and cotton flags that kids had written wishes on. "Peace", "education"," fun", "more homes for dogs", "more recycling" and a" job for my Dad" were some of the things I saw written down. There was no hate speech, no bashing the other candidate, no multi million dollar campaign ads. Just families and children enjoying a gorgeous fall day in a beautiful park. The kids made banners and signs, carried balloons and marched to the very off beat and out of tune "band" They had a great time. At the end of the little parade the Bubbleman set of his giant human powered bubble machine. This is how politics should be. It should be a positive, community event. Filled with joy. It should never be the sad, desperate, divisive, racist, inflammatory, crap that we have seen ( from both major parties) recently.

The kids at this event were not being indoctrinated, the were not force fed rhetoric. Yes, we were all there for a specific party ticket. But I believe most of the children there took home the idea that they could be involved, that they mattered, that politics and the governing of their country is accessible to them. They were surrounded by adults who cared, and who are taking an active role in determining their future. You could not have found apathy here with a box of doughnuts and a beer.

Still, there were two detractors. Two grumpy old men with placards that said "Dear Leader" and "Welcome Brownshirts." Can someone please tell me when exercising your civic rights became akin to being a Nazi? I think they were very disappointed to be roundly ignored. No one cared.

I have read a lot this week about how Democrats and Obama specifically, are "using" children and turning them into "props". How we parents who allow our children to have a voice, to understand how their government works, to disagree with us and learn the art of civil discourse, are somehow turning them into Obamabots, mini me's or drones. I can only counter with one thing. My children know the power of democracy, they know how it works and when it doesn't. They will not blindly follow anyone and they question authority ( oh, believe me they do) on a regular basis. If you are looking for blind followers and a cult of personality, look elsewhere, you won't find them at my house.

6 comments:

Seumas Gagne said...

I'm fascinated with how the Christian Right has latched onto the idea of us liberals co-opting children and involving them in civil discourse as somehow akin to Hitler's youth corp. Excuse me? Isn't that what they've been doing with their religious schools for decades? I think that the 'conservative' movement isn't successful because they're better at anything other than ruthlessness and bold-faced asshattery.

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

What a great shot of the children with the bubbleman at the end. I feel so strongly that children should be involved in politics. I take my children with me to vote every time because I want them to be a part of the process from the very beginning.

We teach them that we speak out and take action for what we believe in. That is how I was raised and it serves me very well. If they learn now that the now infamous term "community organzier" is not a dirty word, but an admirable task then we are doing all right.

As for using children for political means; calls to mind an adorable special needs infant paraded on stage at midnight and a teenage girl who has found herself pregnant and paraded on the international stage as the poster child for anti-choice.

Hmmm, much better to do that than bring your children to a fun little rally that promotes civic involvement.

Big Alice said...

All I can say is, AMEN
I am so so so so tired of the hate and fear.

Hippy Goodwife said...

oh, and Auntie Jane, the Bubbleman seems much improved. He was giving out bubble handstamps, NOT small glass bubbles. I thought you might like that.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I was just talking about that incident yesterday at work, after I caught Desi with that same kind of glass "bubble" in his mouth! I would have thought he knew better ;( I'm glad to know Bubbleman finally got the message!

Thetoymakers said...

Our almost 12 year old thinks he should be able to vote. Parents should raise their kids to be socially aware and thinkers.

Keep using your superpowers for good!

Marilyn