Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Cautionary Tale.

Doodle and I were hit by a car in a parking lot today. We are both OK, some minor scrapes and a whopping bruise on my hip. It could have been, much, much worse. We were crossing behind a car that had passed. As we were directly behind the car the driver shifted into reverse and came towards us. We were maybe 20 feet away. We kept moving across the lot and she kept moving backwards towards us. When it clicked that we were not going to get out of the way in time I shoved Doodle out of the way and turned around to hammer on the car. She did not stop until she heard me hit the car with my fists and yell. Her own children were in the car.

She was late getting her kids to class and looking for parking. When there was nothing in front, she switched gears and turned to back into the spots across the lot. She never looked directly behind her car.

I am posting this because we were ALL very lucky, and because I know I have done the same thing and I know I am not alone. I have been totally focused on getting somewhere on time. I have let safety slip and it has never resulted in an accident for me. But it could have. I could have been the driver.

Consider this a friendly reminder to keep your mind on the car and slow down. Nothing is so important that one more minute is going to make a difference. Today one more minute might have meant a less frightening start to the day and fewer bruises on me and on Doodle.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope you are both ok. You are a sweet person (and I think probably rare) to understand the other driver's side. We have all done stupid things and lucked out.

Wecare4much said...

I am so glad that you are both OK. I can't imagine how terrifying those moments would have been. Praying for a quick healing from your bumps and bruises.

Love from the Hutch

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not hurt badly . . . how's your blood pressure? That must have taken a while to come down from! What a scare! That's one mom that's going to be a more careful driver, though.

Seumas Gagne said...

Yikes. No more going outside for you two!

CzaMama said...

OMG! I'm so glad you and Doodle are okay. But that is so true...just keep your mind on driving and who cares if you're a minute or two late, it could save a life!

Mari said...

How terrible! I hope you are both OK now, such things could cause nightmares weeks after. Virtual hugs!

Big Alice said...

Ack, I'm glad you both aren't badly hurt. Thank you for the reminder. I'm usually pretty good about that because our driveway is almost blind and there are lots of cats and kids wandering around.

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're both OK. The reminder is well taken. Nothing is so important that you can't be a little late.

Janine said...

OMC that is scary. Hope your bruise heals quick!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! I am glad you are okay. How very awful and scary. I hope you are doing well and that doodle is okay.

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

I thought about this today as I was rushing Petunia to school. It made me take a deep breath, relax and not worry about a the minute or two I would have gained by rushing. And it turns out that even at my relaxed pace, she arrived right on time and my morning was much more pleasant.

Thanks for the reminder. : )

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm so glad you were paying attention. How frightening. Ugh. I hope you are feeling better and this didn't give you nightmares.