
Halloween is kind of a nightmare around here. We have always had a big party to carve pumpkins and usually gone out to a local celebration for some Trick or Treating. Since Doodle's peanut allergy things are a bit tougher. We have an international source for safe chocolate ( Hello! Hutch!) to have at home and can buy many other brands of safe candies locally ( except for Candy Corn, I am still in mourning over that one). The problem is EVERYWHERE else. Everywhere we go someone wants to offer Doodle or Crusty candy. From now through the big day in December my well worn Tom Bihn will be stocked with safe treats to trade out for the unsafe ones that are everywhere. Forget trick or treating at other people's homes.
The fine folks at Allergen Free Halloween have come up with a great idea to promote a safer, more fun Halloween for food allergic kids. Check out their site for a list of safe candy and for signs that you can post letting little ghosts and goblins know that you have something they can eat! Just remember to keep the safe candy in a separate dish from the rest of your stash. Don't worry, all of the safe candies are easy to find. If you want to be super allergy aware, keep the candy bags so parents can check them out if they want to.
It's a small thing but it just might make a food allergic child very, very happy. And, hey, leftover candy is leftover candy.
2 comments:
Thanks to you I ONLY have safe candy for the boys and for ALL children. (Including Jonathan)
Thanks for keeping us aware Carmen!
What a great idea to hang a sign on your door. I am always sure to keep allergy safe treats on hand, but I usually just ask as every trick or treater comes to the door if anyone has allergies, making me sound like a crazy person as I announce "anyone with allergies? anyone with allergies?"
Parents of the trick or treaters always assume I have a child with allergies as I hear them chatting as they walk away. "Wow, her kids must have serious food allergies" or "someone there must be allergic to peanuts." Ummm, no. If that were the case there would be no nut offerings at our house on Halloween.
Ironically, we have just found out this past week that Peanut (yikes, have to change that nickname) may have a nut allergy.
Post a Comment