One of the most fascinating parts of not really being the
puzzlemaster of my own life for the last few weeks has been watching my friends figure out where they fit, how they can fill the holes. How they can arrange the puzzle. Flipping all the pieces face up so that
nothing gets missed, none of the corners get lost, no one gets left without
sleep or food or transportation, or cookies.
No parts get left in the dark box.
If I thought I had secrets before I certainly have none now. There have been people in all parts of my
life stepping in to take care of me and the boys and each other. It is humbling and transformative. And if all
it took to see it was a little brain surgery than I am indeed a fortunate soul. .Except for the waiting room puzzle ladies. Those are just creepy.
Many people have come out of the woodwork. The sort of wave in the drop off line friends that have been constant in their
presence. Dropping off food or boys. Or
just sitting on the end of the couch and filling me in on life outside the
driveway. Spontaneous generations of
community building right here in my living room. I don’t make friends quickly
so this has been quite thrilling and I am looking forward to building on those
friendships. Lots of our long time
friends have come with food and good humor and cleaning supplies! Bringing with them waves of healing energy
that have washed over us like cool rain. Taking us all in and filling the house
with their overwhelming goodness. I love how some people will not think twice
about leaving the house with a load after load of laundry…really. More laundry than I have ever seen. Leaving
us with a sparkling clean house and clean sheets! ( and curiously, missing
underwear…) Oh I slept well that night!
Others whose specialty is food.
Such food! I think my family will
be disappointed to go back to our regular rotation. We have been so spoiled. I am impressed with the speed at which people
can adapt. We had no idea that I would
come home so soon or that I would be unable to open my mouth when I did. A
spontaneous choice by the surgeon to preserve the optic nerve and instead sever
all the muscles in my jaw rippled out as a sudden intense need for nutrient
dense liquids in addition to the food that was already planned. And then.
There it was. Pho, and bone
broth, soup of every fashion. Delicious and delivered daily. I slept through a lot of it but I know all
the nutritious food kept Patrick upright through severely fractured sleep and
the continuing demands of growing boys.
My appetite is questionable and sometimes good food just doesn’t go down
well and I have to avoid sending it back up by any means necessary. The cranial pressure of vomiting could be a
catastrophe at this point so having all of these choices, all this food has
been invaluable. In the time it takes
for food to heat I can lose all interest.
But there has so far always been something else that tastes good. I have had split pea soup for breakfast
everyday this week. I may never give it
up!
I feel completely unable to express my deep gratitude for
everyone who has helped thus far and am slightly embarrassed to realize that we
may need help for some time. I am
determined to cook something soon, but my jailer er husband objects. He thinks I am not
yet ready for knife work. I have no idea
when I will be able to drive. I tried to pretend drive while I was falling
asleep last night. Let’s just say that
there are some significant gaps in my knowledge…clutch first? Then gas? Oy. I
am sure it will come. Patience
grasshopper…
So, post op week 2.
You have been liberating, yay! No
more staples in my head! Clean
sheets! The ability to walk all the way
to the mailbox. I still need a minder,
but I haven’t fallen in days. I am able to mostly identify the pills in the
pill bowls now. Mostly. Except
when S and friends move them around.
I am grateful for the surgeons, and nurses and PT and OT and
friends and others who have contributed to what feels like a whirlwind
recovery. How amazing that 14 days can
be so very different. I am thrilled to
have reconnected with some old friends and made some new ones.
I am happy to be off the steroids and looking forward to
dropping the antiseizure meds soon. All
in all, we are still here and making forward progress. We still need your help and are looking at
ways to pay it forward. Let me know if
you are in the neighborhood. I am up for
brief forays out into the world and would love to have some company.

3 comments:
I so wish I was in your neighborhood. I am so glad to read your posts. Have people think of things that can be done by your friends from afar!!
xoxoxoSarah
Shirley S Martin says we can collect underwear for you
Carmen M :thud:
Jamia M Yes, indeed! I love to shop: have P figure out sizes & color (do men know undies have brands & styles?)
Will call & collect you for tea before we dash to London.
Cynthia K <3
Jane R How I would love to come sit at the end of the sofa and visit, and bring you something nice. Not in my current condition, though. Soon, I hope!
Amanda F Shirley, cough up the underpants. Did you check under the seats of the Element? I thought when we left the underwear was accounted for --clean and in drawers thanks to
Carmen M mine yes, I think. Patrick still has some MIA, I think. Man, I be he loves me talking about undewear on FB. No secrets here....
Amanda F Carmen, I'm so glad you're doing so well. I'm sure you still have some secrets, but after the underwear drive I'm not so sure that will be the case. Ha!
Shannon T I want to come sit on the end of the couch and I am a great errand runner with or without company. Cooking not my forte but talking and shopping I do well!! Is there a schedule for this?
Carmen no schedule Shannon T, just let me know when you want to come over. I am mostly here....
Shulamit K Yay friends, and yay legumes for breakfast! I have long been an advocate of beans at breakfast. Salt and protein, yum yum.
Olga O Shannon, we should coordinate!
Shannon T Yes Olga I would love to see you too!!
Holly S you are amazingly eloquent for someone who just had brain surgery! Here's to continued recovery.
Sally V Beautiful, Carmen. Simply beautiful.
Nan P Warm fuzzies! I'll be around once I survive this week.
So amazed and happy to hear you are already doing so well. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment