Thursday, April 10, 2014
Counting Days
On Monday surgeons will open up a hole in my skull and take out a persistent and hopefully benign tumor. All week long I have been counting days and paying attention to things that wouldn't normally phase me.
I am very lucky, the tumor is treatable, operable and likely benign. The odds are overwhelmingly in my favour. Recovery should be measured in weeks and months, not years or never.
Last weekend as I watched the Alcina kids take their finals bows I felt this huge wash of relief and emotion. They had done it. WE had done it. Many people were not happy with my decision to put off the brain surgery so that I could finish the Seattle Historical Arts for Kids Alcina project. And truthfully if I had know how hard it would be on my body and my brain, if I had known how debilitating the anti seizure drugs would be I might not have done it. As it was I was blissfully unaware what a massive undertaking I had embarked on. There were days when getting off the couch seemed insurmountable, but there were those kids and that music. All those expectations. I knew this was a special project. Kids singing and dancing in a Baroque Opera. With a small but mighty period orchestra and the able teaching many specialist teachers and coaches. A fencing master, vocal coaches, Baroque dance teacher, singing plants, a hippogrif, teen chorus, acting cast, and a young dancers chorus. Oh, and the show had to move! Two rehearsal venues and three performance spaces. On a wafer thin budget, with an untrained but very willing teenaged stage manager. What was I thinking?
That end of show things where people get all weepy and swear to meet up for coffee? Yeah, that was never me. End of show, time to pack up, wave goodbye and move on. But those kids? I just wanted to pack them all up and take them home. Yes. All. Even the pesky ones. They gave me a huge burst of happy to take with me into that operating room. I am as proud as proud can be to have been a small part of such an extraordinary project. Totally worth the anxiety and the drugs and whole feeling like I am living in soup. Worth it in spades just to look up at that stage full of happy, confident, jubilant children and know that I had a part in it. I made a difference for them and for the families and friends who got to see them in a totally different light. They made a difference for me, reminding me that there are things worth being uncomfortable for, there are risks worth taking. 8 days and counting.
An ordinary weeknight "see you next time" devolved in a teary cry that left me feeling confused and slightly afraid that I couldn't continue to see people. I stood in a tulip field on a sunny day and thought to myself. " If I don't wake up he'll have this. He'll have his Mama forever surrounded by colour and sunshine" 7 days and counting... There is nothing quite like looking into the face of your child and seeing your own mortality stare back. 7 days.
Handing the bigger boy off to his other house. Damn. I miss that kid when he's not here. 6 days.
Going about my week and ticking things off the big list of things to do, I caught myself thinking "When will I do this again? In a week? A month? Longer?" 5 days.
Earlier today I was in the pick up line at school and then driving Doodle to fiddle lessons and then hitting up the PCC for it's free fruit for kids program and a slice of excellent pizza. When will such an ordinary Thursday happen again? 4 days.
And now the weekend is almost here. And on it's heels, Monday. Eviction Day. It's my last weekend with an invader in my head. Eviction is imminent.
It has been somewhat of an unknown risk to wait. A greater drug load on my body, a greater stress load on my family. What I gained in the process is immeasurable and I plan to hold onto it with both hands. Counting days. Days until I wake up without a tumor in my brain, without the constant threat of a catastrophic seizure. Days. Ordinary and extraordinary so many days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I knew it was something you needed to do. I worried that it would be too much for you but I always knew it was something you were determined to see through. I'm glad it was worth it. The days of recovery cannot be counted. You will need to listen to your doctors, to those that love you, to your body. Be gentle with yourself and let your body heal. You will get back to all those things but you will need patience. Love and unicorn poop, Ker
Happy counts. I subscribe to the philosophy: eat dessert first. Life is uncertain.
If those kids and that production are your dessert, I am profoundly glad that you chose that path.
You are fellow shield maiden. My thoughts are with you.
Màiri
China M <3
Doug B *gulp*
Melisa L So now I am sobbing...
ALL my good mojo/vibes are being sent your way!
Shirley S ... And just imagine how wonderful the show will be next year, and how beautiful the tulips will be, and how good that spring sun will be on your face!! You have all the love in the world with you, you know. You put it out there and it's going to come back to you tenfold!!!
Molly B You are a total badass and we love you, Carmen. We'll be sending mojo your way.
Fiona N Sending every good vibe I have your way! Beautifully written!
Heidi G Beautiful as always! Heart too full for words! You are surrounded by love and light always. And even when ordinary days return, they will carry in them the extraordinary.
Heather U C, i feel really privileged to read your thoughts and fears here. I will send you all I got on Monday, good vibe-wise. See you on the other side of this eviction...and I will listen close for opportunities to swoop in and carry small baroque musicians off on adventures with friends ...
Carolyn C We are sending you reiki for excellent healing. Eviction day!
Jean E Excellent blog Carmen. We WILL see you soon! Xxoo
Julie O Ditto. Healing energy coming your way from AZ.
Seumas G <3
Peggy B Thanks for sharing. Like so many, I am thinking of you as you count.
Jane R You were much more than a small part of that extraordinary project I'm so glad it was worth it. Their "baroque arms" will carry you into eviction day. They'll need you after, as we all will.
Carmen M OK, now I am imagining a corridor of children with "baroque arms" all pointing towards the exit sign! That made me laugh!
Carmen M For the tumor. Not me. I am not going anywhere. Tumor, "exit stage right pursued by bear". or by children with Baroque arms. Whichever is more fierce.
Jamia H No doubt, it will be those marvelous kids & their lovely Baroque arms! You are just extraordinary, Carmen!
Paul H you are sooo awesome. sending healing vibes your way....
Molly C Love to you dear Carmen.
Judith L Ciunt me among those holding you in deep and potent magick on Monday. And lots of love. xo
Judith L Make that 'count me'! Sheesh!
LeAnn O <3
Kristen M <3
Wendy N You are amazing. I'm sending all my positive thoughts your way.
Laurie H Love you Carmen.
Gretchen M Big hugs, Carmen. All the unicorn poop that I have, is yours.
Nan P Blessings, comfort, and strong vibes for a stupendously successful eviction. Besides, you still need to mash up Sine Bhan and Sheena Is a Punk Rocker.
Silje S What a beautifully written and tremendously powerful essay you have written. I will be thinking about you on Monday and will send positive,healing thoughts your way. Strangely, my friend went through this exact thing one year ago, and while the surgery was scary, he healed smoothly and the tumor was taken out completely. A very disruptive and awful thing to happen, but he is healthy and active today. I will visualize that for you! A big hug to you! You clearly have many, many people thinking about you and supporting wonderful, wonderful you!
Valerie G You are the strength and light for many on this post, including myself. We are all sending you that strength, light and love that you have wrapped us in these many years to wrap yourself in during this time, quite the quilt you have made my dear.
I promise we will be watching over your men to make sure they are comforted and cared for.
You are loved.
Susan M Carmen, you are the epitome of grace under pressure. Sending healing thoughts and prayers, all the positive energy I can find for your healing and future.
Stacey G What a lovely blog. My thoughts and prayers are with you Carmen!
Michele B Like so many others, I will be sending all the good vibes and positive thoughts that I can for a successful surgery and a swift recovery!
Anila P Sending peaceful, positive thoughs and healing energy.
Sharman S Thinking of you and sending heaps of energy your way.
Bj D A lot of us are counting right along with you. A lovely blog entry and a totally charming show! I (of course?) completely get why you opted to wait and do it. Be seeing you soon, soup in hand! XOXO
Nicole Q xoxoxoxoxo
Debbie B Dear Carmen- Your feisty spirit is only matched by your your quiet eloquence... It's a weird and special privilege to be part of this odd journey with you- I will be counting with you this weekend. Soon the count will be .. "whew.. " 1 day day post-eviction, 2 days post eviction.. etc. " We are there with you--- xoxox db
We are sending all of our best thoughts, blessings and love your way, Carmen and family. x and o infinity. Rene & Dennis
You can do it, Carmen. Will be thinking of you and sending all the best and brightest energy for the big eviction.
Post a Comment