I have been writing this post in my head for three years. Doodle has outgrown his peanut allergy. Totally. Gone. Over the course of four hours this morning, under medical supervision he ate 32 peanuts with absolutely no reaction. No hives, no swelling, no drop in blood pressure. Nada. He is one of the lucky, lucky, 20% of kids who outgrow this allergy.
He ( and me) were both scared but at 7:30am, wearing his superhero cape, he and Dolphin bravely ate the first of the tiny slivers of peanut. He coughed and I grabbed the Epi that was in my hand, in my pocket. Just a cough though, a reaction to the salt and new texture, false alarm. We waited. Then a quarter, then a half, then a whole nut. He proclaimed them good. Nurse Cheryl said in her unscientific opinion that was a good sign. We waited some more. Played bananagrams, watched movies, and waited. He and Daddy played legos and we waited. In the end he was up to a full serving of peanuts without blinking an eye.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
We could not have done this without you.
We will still carry our Epi's until they expire. As Dr. Butler says " to wean the parents, not the kids!" But we are in the clear. We went out tonight to our favourite neighborhood Chinese restaurant to celebrate, a place that has been off limits for three years. It was delicious! We are adjusting to life PP ( post peanut) and I feel like a solid load of bricks has been removed from my shoulders. I feel bad writing that knowing that so many of my friends are still in the food allergy trenches. All I can really do is continue to advocate for better labels, more inclusive food free celebrations and more research. I will. I promise.
8 comments:
I"m so relieved!!!
I can't imagine what a huge difference this will make for all of you. I'm so glad you got to go for Chinese food! I'm so glad he had his super-hero cape to protect him! Does he know that he'll be safe from peanuts even without the cape?
Congratualtions on all your dilligence paying off! Wow.
Oh, my goodness, such wonderful news! So fun to go to a favorite restaurant, and to be free from the fear that someone will do something unwittingly. I'm so excited for you all!!
Yay! Wahoo! Wheee! Great news!
Oh fabulous news!
Oh this is tremendously wonderful news! What a scary 3 years and now a much less scary future. I will gladly provide you with Reese's peanut butter cups, peanut butter cookies, and anything peanutty your heart desires - well, within my means anyway. Happy post peanut trails to you all!
Seumas G
Would it be gay of me to shed a tear of happiness over this?
Heidi G
You are a superhero too! It hasn't been easy these past years. Grandpa Joe had a celebratory peanut cup! But think about what we have all learned - about food safety and as you say, food free celebrations. About community and helping each other stay safe as we all go out there in the world.
Thank you for sharing this whole damned thing with us - and for letting all of us help and support you in whatever way we could.
I bet Snappy Dragon tasted sooooo good!
Linda P
Have to agree with Heidi - because of Sebastian's peanut allergies, you taught me how very important it is to read the darn food labels and how much more needs to be done in that regard. We are so very relieved and happy that the best outcome of all has been bestowed on Sebastian - peanut-free!!!! The next time you come to visit, I will offer up a sampling of our roasted walnuts and/or pecans (manufactured on equipment that "may have contained" peanuts!!
GAL and GUL.
Karie S
Heidi said it well. You educated so many...
Sally V
Once again, a beautiful written post straight from your heart. Freedom! Hard won - enjoy!
Wednesday at 8:16pm ·
Tanzi B
I'm so happy for you guys! We're still in the peanut/tree nut free zone at our house.
Jane R
@ Seumas: I'm crying a little right now. We're so gay. It was the cape that put me over the edge, of course.
Kerry M
Joining Seumas and Jane in tears. So happy for you all!! Isaac was a little disappointed at the news in his silly Iceman way.... "but.... then we don't need to look for cool peanut free treats to send him anymore?!?!?" They never eat a Chapman's ice cream treat without someone saying something about Sebastian.
Janine J
I am so very very excited for you guys! Yah
Carmen M
Cry away everyone! I cried once in the exam room and then once when Duncan came home and was all excited.
Tanzi, I know! I thought about you a lot today. *sigh* I wish I could make everyone's peanut allergies go away.
@Ker, you tell Iceman that we are happy to get taste test any treats he finds. We had two of the last Chapmans cones tonight! Guess I can stop hoarding them now!
Kathryn C
@Jane - I know, the cape!!! *sniff* @Carmen - You've passed along a tiny bit of hope here. What a lovely thing. I'm so happy for you!!
Carmen M
of course Auntie Jane made the cape. I left that part out! Sorry!
Christine H
Great post - even a trip to the Snappy Dragon! Sounds like a day no one will ever forget (and for good reason).
Jane R
Seeing that is about as gratifying as it gets for a crafter. The very best! It helps that Carmen tells me exactly what he would like ;)
Shannon T
Beautifully said Carmen. oxox
Olga O
i have chills all over. am beyond thrilled (and yes, we need to be "weaned" too! ha!). you taught me a lot as well -- five guys burgers, hello? how about a warning label on the door? -- and for that i am grateful.
but most of all, much love to the whole family. it's so much easier to dance without those stones on your shoulders..
xoxo
Jennifer S
I'm so happy for you!
Lori Ann K
Total chills and tears :) So happy for you. You are an amazing mama!
I'm just reading this now - how wonderful! Yaaaaaayyyy! *happydance*
Post a Comment