Saturday, June 26, 2010

Dinner with Trains.



One of the many oddities of Puget Sound parks is that nearly all of the beaches on the east side of the sound feature railway tracks for the BNSF line that runs up from California into British Columbia. Doodle and I made an impromptu trek to one this evening for a picnic dinner. Two southbound freights, one northbound freight and a northbound Amtrak. Pretty exciting stuff.

While Doodle was waving at trains and scooping sand I was watching the people that make up our city. There was a large group of Spanish speaking families cooking up something that smelled delicious in one of the fire pits, a couple of fully veiled women playing badminton, a very well dressed family speaking Japanese that was precariously walking around on the rocky beach trying to take a family photo against the setting sun. There were groups of urban teenagers trying to out do each other skipping rocks and bathing suit clad couples that were practicing ballroom steps in the surf. Plus the usual array of reggae playing drummers, Middle eastern sweet ice sellers, bikini clad sunworshippers and suburban families. It made our sunbutter and dandelion jelly sandwiches taste positively exotic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your adventures seem exotic even though we live within 5 miles of each other. I need to be more creative and less tired!y

Anonymous said...

Your adventures seem exotic even though we live within 5 miles of each other. I need to be more creative and less tired!

Anonymous said...

Kathryn C likes this.

Michele B
What is sunbutter, and can you really make jelly out of dandelions?
June 26 at 9:40pm ·
Carmen
yes Michelle you can. It;s delicious, tastes like a mild wildflower honey.I used this recipe substituting dandelion petals for the violets..http://5orangepotatoes.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-make-violet-jelly-periodic-table.html

Sunbutter is just sunflower seed butter. http://www.sunbutter.com/

Together they make a yummy sandwich!

Kathryn C
I love moments like that, when you look around and take in the world you're a part of every day. This is such a great place to live! I'm glad to be a part of your city!
June 26 at 9:46pm ·
Seumas G
What a beautiful childhood you're giving him.

Martie J
I tried to add a comment on your blog and after about 15 tries, it decided it just wasn't meant to be so...

Your adventures seem exotic even though we live within 5 miles of each other. I need to be more creative and less tired!

Jane R
Dandilion jelly?!?!?!Can we go with you soon? I need to plan a birthday beach party....

Carmen M
When are you free? Do you and the kids have free time during the week? You could come late afternoonish and we could picnic!

Michele B
Thank you for the links! I've made grape jelly before, but never tried one with flowers and I love rose petal jelly! I first tasted it in France when my ex and I were dating. Now I just have to find the flowers to use. Perhaps one of my half wine barrels needs to be a jelly-flower barrel.