Party Guests, circa 1971.Last night a lovely ( and funny) group of people gathered at our house for a Waulking Ceilidh. There was food, there was music, there was a whole lot of Gaelic going on. At one point we were rehearsing a song that I am singing and I turned around to see Doodle and a friend peering in over the living room pass through. "Make more music Mama!"It was exactly what I wanted. Surpassed only by the sight of him sitting next to Uncle Seumas and singing along. I knew this house had room, I knew this house had potential but until last night I didn't realize how much I wanted it to have music too.
Later as I was putting him to bed to the sounds of singing from the front of the house I recalled all those nights that I drifted off to the sounds of my parents having a party. Sometimes in my own bed, sometimes on the couch, sometimes on a two folding lawn chairs pushed together in the front yard. They didn't make their own music, it was recorded but the sounds of the grownups having fun and me falling asleep was a magical thing. Like all that stuff went on in the night and I got to have a sneak peek at it.
I hope I can leave the boys with similar memories, though judging by last night, at least one of them will be joining in!
5 comments:
Ah, is this not happiness! What a beautiful moment for all of you - a house full of love and laughter and music! Dreams really do come true!
It was a super-lovely time. Feel free to invite us back anytime! (ha ha)
It's a good thing you have a piano. I have similar treasured memories, and they all involve the piano. Good job!
Oh, I love drifting off to sleep with the sounds of fun in the background. I have tried to recreate that by rudely going to bed while dh had friends over once, but it wasn't the same. ; )
How cool is that?! I miss ceilidhs.
Post a Comment