I am late in posting this but since someone...ahem....nudged me about it here is the story of this seasons first carrot harvest. The boys manage to carrot plot mostly on their own, and at least half of any given crop ends up eaten long before any official harvest. All through the early summer muddy hands and bits of carrot top in the hair are certain signs that someone has been rummaging around the carrot beds for a snack.

Here they are in March, direct sowing the first round.

And here are the sleeping carrots under a freak April snowstorm.

Snack time!

Pulling!

Gathering. ( brothers and carrots.)

Washing and more eating.

Dinnertime!

Round 2!
6 comments:
Fabulous!
They look like they're loving it! Horray for carrots! They look beautiful.
I've been trying to figure out why so many people have troubles with carrots - SOOO many people in The Growing Challenge (and my mom, too) have a terrible time growing them. Any ideas what they might be doing wrong? For me, I learned they didn't love fresh compost nor too much heat, and they like being moist in the beginning, but...?? I'm stumped.
Hi Melinda, I think neglect must be the key. These are in a raised bed that has been used at various times in the history of this house as a fire pit, pond and flower bed. We amended the soil with some cedar grove compost the first year ( 3 years ago now) and have mostly ignored it since then. It does sit up on a concrete pad on the east side of the house so it gets the very warm morning sun. The boys water it more or less regularly, and the dog sometimes runs right through it.
We get two, sometimes three harvests before putting it to bed for the winter, ie, ignoring it some more!
Wow - looks like you got the kitchen painted! Or has it been that shade of green for a while and I have just finally noticed...
The carrots look good too...
They might just be amused by these activities now, but in their adulthood they will be grateful that they know how to grow food and what it takes.
I know that I'm glad that I could plant and tend a vegetable garden if monetary society were to collapse.
I need to get me a couple of those little persons to sow my garden for me!
Post a Comment