People keep asking me about the branch hanging over our dinner table. What is it? Why is it hanging there? What is on it this week? I'm sorry I don't have a fascinating old family anecdote for thebranch. It's just well...a branch. Once upon a time it was a holiday tree. When we moved in here I really wanted a classy fixture to hang over the table. Sadly classy = cash-y. Something which is rarely plentiful around here. So in a fit of craftyness, thebranch was born. Patrick hung it on the ceiling with a couple of dainty cup hooks. I only meant for it to be temporary but it has a staying power that I had not counted on. In fact, some people think it is their right to see thebranch. Everytime I think about taking it down certain people get all weird and hostile. So I guess it stays. Being good druids it make sense. Thebranch has chosen us for it's home. ( no one freak out, it's a joke. Really. Branches don't choose people; now Ravens, that is another story. Remind me to tell you about the Raven.) Maybe we should charge admission to see thebranch. I could write a book, people could make pilgrimages to thebranch. Maybe I am overstepping. I bet by now, some of are wondering just what this branch looks like. Or maybe you just think that I am crazy.
Currently the branch is sporting a half dozen acorn and oak leaves ( with one Maple leaf for Lemon) made from cinnamon and applesauce dough. If you have never worked with this stuff, let me tell you prolonged exposure can really irritate your hands! Who knew cinnamon was so caustic. Sure smells purty though! It's equal parts ground cinnamon and store bought applesauce mixed in a bag and rolled out. We cut ours with cookies cutters and added some czech beads for the sparkle factor. I think it's pretty and it does send the smell of cinnamon throughout the house. Makes me want cookies ALL THE TIME.
Here are a few of the things that have graced thebranch in the last couple of years.
Wax dipped autumn leaves. Acorns and Icicles.
Lunar New Year Lanterns. Blown and dyed Eggs.
I like thebranch, but I can't promise that is will stay there forever, I might get my classy fixture someday..... so please no pleading emails. You know who you are.
2 comments:
I love the branch!! Lemon is very honored to have a maple leaf on your branch. Hugs and Kisses to Doodle from Lemon.
see now I think the branch is very very cool... hmm now to convince Grant we need one in our place!!
Post a Comment