Two weeks ago I used my handy Nordic Ware train car pan to bake three sets of train cars. Double wrapped in plastic, foil and ziplocked. They kept very nicely in the freezer. Then I made two batches of cream cheese frosting for glue, the previously mentioned gum paste and green coconut grass. Later that week the graham crackers and chocolate cookies ( from peanut free DARE foods) hit the food processor to be come crumbs. Then I strung 30 or so black licorice vines on pipe cleaners. ( More about that later...) Finally, the early prep concluded with the much anticipated map and tunnel.
and the poured sugar lake ( with dolphin, natch,)
Then last week I started working on the animals, more structure for the mountain and tunnel and bridge plans. Saturday the bridge and mountain went up, and the tracks were layed. This was the hardest part of the whole thing, that bridge nearly did me in. As it is, you can barely see the gap, but it does go over the flowing water. It's pretty low though, I think the dolphin may be land locked. Think of it like SeaWorld, only in sugar.
The train cars came out of the freezer early Sunday morning to be decorated.
And then as if by magic. ( HA!) It was THE CAKE!
The idea for THE CAKE came from a Tibor Gergely illustration for The Little Red Caboose. It is one of Doodle's favourites and I love the illustrations. Even the ones that are not PC. I love all of his books. I think the cake came pretty close, I wanted to put the caboose in the tunnel but I wold have needed on more engine, and I just wasn't up for more cake!

Dh and Crusty built a real working RR Crossing signal to welcome people. It lights up!
I think everyone had a good time, THE CAKE was consumed. First on nice clean plates and then bit by bit as passers by picked out there favourite morsel. Grass? Tunnel? Train car? Mountain? Lake bite anyone?
Doodle was a very happy but tired boy. He did have time for a quick drive with his buddy Kadin before he fell over in a sleepy, dirty heap.
Happy Third Birthday Sweet Boy!
4 comments:
The Cake looks amazing! It does look so much like the book (which, along with The Pokie Little Puppy, was my favorite). Great touches all around.
Happy belated birthday Sebastian!
Amazing!! What a lucky, lucky boy!! Happy birthday little guy!!
Happy Birthday, sweet boy - it doesn't seem possible that you are growing up so fast!
Great job on the cake mom, absolutely amazing!
Big hugs,
Marissa
Obviously a labor of love. Made me tear up with the devotion of making your boy happy (Who you?) Makes me feel my boys are a little bit cheated... KUDOS - it is beautiful!
Post a Comment