Friday, August 24, 2007

"Safe Home" to an old friend.

Carmen, Patrick and Finn.


wow, that sounds like he is dead! In fact my old friend Finn MacGinty is winging his way back to Ireland after 17 years here in the Emerald City ( who gave us that name anyway?). You can a hear a tune and a quick interview on KUOW here. I first met Finn when he was tending bar at the old Dubliner, ( before the slick new decor and his and hers bathrooms) he pours a mean Black and Tan. He used to try and convince us that he was drawing maps in the head (of the beer silly). Around then Finn started playing with the Suffering Gaels. The Gaels and Finn in particular played the sound track for much of my misspent twenties. Late nights at Conor Byrne's, later nights at the Dubliner, several new years eve celebrations to be remembered ( does anyone remember and can you clue me in) a rousing version of Waltzing Mathilda, and roaring drive across Ireland. Followed by a chance meeting with Finn's cousin Barry at the Dubliner in Milwaukee. Weird. Most recently Finn has been playing with Tom and Dale again in a remix of The Gaels called Crumac. Creegan, Russ, MacGinty...get it? It took me a while. In any case while I am sure Finn will find wonderful things in Ireland, I will miss him. I haven't been out to see them play lately but I will be in the front of the room this Sunday at the Tractor for their end of an era show. If you are in the neighborhood come and check it out. I'll be the one in the long black veil.

No comments: