Wednesday, April 04, 2007

In which, Mama doesn't get what she wants, or, the latest soul sucking, ego crushing moment of motherhood.

Doodle hates the parent/toddler program at Brightwater Waldorf School. It's official. I have been in denial. *sigh* WE had such a great time last year at the Seattle Waldorf School program, the room was bigger, the children more active, the teacher more in charge and Doodle, of course younger and more easily led. This year after a rocky start with SWS and a new teacher we transferred to Brightwater. I, being the crunchy Mama that I am was all set for more warm fuzzy nature stories, long rainy walks, inventive crafts and cheerful, exuberant children. This is not what I got. BWS has a wonderful program with a lovely teacher, a beautiful space etc....but he hates it. HATES IT! Brings me my coat almost as soon as we get there, refuses to sit at the snack table. Hides during the story time. You get the picture.

Today's lesson. What Mama wants is not necessarily what Doodle wants.

So off we go looking at other schools, I found a great program in a parent co-op. Affordable, very nice parents, experienced warm teacher. Finches and turtles, and Guinea pigs! Art, painting, carpentry, climbers, snacks whoopee! A fabulous (non) curriculum. But the building is horrible! Dark, crowded and messy. I know the building isn't the school, but I cannot imagine going there every week. Back to square one.


I hate that I am torn between what I want for Doodle and what is in his best interest. I hate that those two things are not the same. He needs a much more active program that Waldorf can supply and truthfully, we couldn't keep him in Waldorf school for more than another year or so anyway. I don't want an academic structure, I don't want him to learn the "right" way yet. I just want him to have some social time with respectful adults and diverse friendly kids in a place that is bright and clean and not cluttered! Is that asking too much? Should I just get over myself? I don't know. How could I have been so wrong about what would be good for him? Shouldn't I just know? Isn't that what mothers do?

1 comment:

kimberly/tippytoes said...

I hate when they have their own opinions! I'm sure you'll find the right fit.