Today Crusty's first mama held a birthday party for him. It was a total chaos of plastic swords, plank walking, cake, and overall plundering of the village ( in a totally nine year old way of course). I don't know how many children were actually present but it seemed like 20 or more. Poor Doodle was overwhelmed, the pond, the road, the pointy swords and big kids. eeek! We held out for about 40 min. Then it happened. The thing I have feared most about his being at this particular house. The thing that has woken me up more than once, the thing that has caused me to back out of dates with with my husband to avoid them doodle sitting, the THING. Doodle tumbled face first in the pond. I was squatting on the ground within reach, right next to him, and still I couldn't move fast enough. It was like there was jello between us. I stumbled into the pond and yanked him up. Other than the bruise from the rocks and the big scrape he is fine. FINE. There were probably ten adults and hoards of pirate children within reach but still it felt like I was all alone, like I was the only one who could catch him. I scooped him up and ran him to the car, mostly because he was shrieking and all I could think of was to get as far away from that stupid pond as possible.
I know, I know, I am overreacting. It's just a tiny pond and I know they are careful when he is there. But how careful? As careful as I would be? What if they aren't? My father drowned when I was 16 years old. It happens, it happens to kids and capable swimmers too. I love the water, always have. But it is so dangerous especially to a little guy in the midst of big kid chaos.
So, here is my public service announcement. TEACH YOUR KIDS TO SWIM! and pay attention when there is water nearby. There was a news story here last week about a little girl who wandered away from her daddy and was found just a few minutes later, dead, face down in garbage can half full of water. Crusty has refused all attempts at learning to swim. This week he starts a class for hesitant swimmers. He will learn.
Doodle's little slip today was a watershed moment for me. It is never ok to fudge on your kids safety. In the past I have let Doodle spend time with Crusty at his M0ms house. It seemed good for everyones relationships, good for OUR family, but I have never been easy about it. It won't happen again, not while that pond is there.
1 comment:
Eeekk I am totally freaked for you Carmen. Water is fun, but it can also be dangerous. We have had little ones fall in our pool and it is fenced. I so do not blame you for not wanting to leave S there again without you...
Big hugs... that must have been so scary
- Janine
Post a Comment