Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The evolution of a party girl.






In 1984 I could stay up all night, drink my weight in whiskey and still get up and go to my 7:00am Russian language class...and make sense. I once actually made it back to campus from a late night in Vancouver BC with just enough time to change my shoes. My professor never even blinked at the wild hair and club clothes. I guess you see a lot of that when your teaching freshman Russian. By 1990 I was still able to drink the night away, dance my size able ass off at the local gay disco and make it to my job pulling espresso for local attorneys. I remember one particularly ugly morning lying on the employee bathroom floor, just hoping I wouldn't toss my cookies into the pastry case. Nice huh? Makes you wonder about that college kid making your coffee now doesn't it? Later in the 90's I was hanging out with Irish musicians and drinking black and tans ( not political comments please, I know the origin of the term. I also know that ordering a half and half on this side of the pond is likely be met with confusion or some vile combo of hard cider and beer.) I was known for being one of those girls who could hold her Guinness well. Not really something to be very proud of. I was also working for a children's bookstore and finishing up my teaching degree at a school that made me promise to not drink, smoke, dance or have sex with my boyfriend ( I don't believe they specified that other partners were also out of the question.) I was very good at getting the smoke out of my hair in time to make my very early morning classes.


I only bring this up because last weekend Patrick and I attended an Academy Awards party given by a friend. Complete with paparazzi, boys painted gold ( like the statues) movies props and costumes, drag queens, and killer martinis. I had three and paid for it the next day. Geeez. It hardly seems fair does it? Looking back, I was a good student, a good employee and a fairly reliable friend, I was also a pretty wild party girl. Not every night, but often enough. I did a lot of really, really dumb things. I pretty much got away with them all. It is hard to reconcile that girl with the woman that let her child watch two whole hours of Thomas the Tank Engine yesterday because it was just too hard to drag my big butt off the couch. C'est la vie! Everybody has to grow up sometime. I guess 41 is a good time to start.


I better take that boy to the park now.







If you want to see more photos from Uncle Philips fabulous party you cancheck them out here










































1 comment:

ThatMelhouseGirl said...

Ohhhhhh my sweet twin! It's sad how the mighty have fallen, isn't it?

Personally, I think being able to hold your Guinness is a resume-quality trait, but clearly, I haven't grown up yet.

:)