Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dog Food.


When I was a kid it was my job to strip the meat off the chicken carcass that my Mom would cook up for the weeks dog food. I am officially passing the torch. Sort of. This week Ringo decided that he can no longer stomach the cheap dog food we have been giving him. Last week he went for days without eating. Poor guy. I figure there must really be something wrong with the cheap stuff if he, a dog, a shelter dog, a dog who has been known to consume cat poo, will not eat it! I would love to provide him with yummy, super gourmet dog food but it just is not going to happen. So this afternoon Crusty Boy and I devised a recipe for homemade dog food. I didn't taste it but both Crusty Boy and Ringo gave it the seal of approval. Ringo scarfed it down and asked for more. Success!! An afternoon activity for a boy AND dinner for a dog. We made enough to last the week. We added it to the chart so now Crusty Boy will get points for making the dog food and feeding the dog. That is TWO less things for me to do! Hurray! And it means I am not carting a 50lb bag of dog food into the house every month. Crusty Boy wrote out the recipe, did the math and posted it on the refrigerator. I am very proud of him! Writing is difficult for him and he did a great job setting it all up in recipe format and getting the steps down. I am pretty sure he will be able to do it all next time with minimal involvement from me! Next week he can teach Daddy. Do you think if I post other recipes they will cook for me too? I sure hope the dog appreciates this!

No comments: