Wednesday, June 11, 2014

That which was lost.





While living in Greece in 1985 I bought a silver bracelet shaped like a snake.  It slithered right out of the jewelers window and onto my arm.  I saw it from across the walkway of a tiny touristy Greek island.  Being a college drop out.....er......student I had almost no money.  I think I used the very last of that weeks food money on this bracelet.  I wore it everywhere.  Sometimes at night I dreamed that it would wake up and lift it's head, offer advice or comfort. I have always liked snakes.  It became my trophy, my reward for surviving a couple of harrowing experiences alone in foreign country.  I counted on φίδι  to always be there.  A strange thing, to depend on a bracelet for protection and advice. But it saw me safely through the treacherous years between almost an adult and fully fledged.

I wore this bracelet nearly everyday  and for every special event for 24 years. Births, deaths, weddings.  Everything.  I very nearly had it's twin tattooed to my arm under where it usually rode. Just so I could always have it with me.

Five or so years ago we took a trip to Disneyland.  On the second day there I was riding a beastly tiny roller coaster  called Mulholland  Madness.  It's not there any more.  When the ride stopped I realized that the snakes head had been ripped off by the seat belt.  My heart sank.  It must have fallen to the ground under the ride.  No way Disney was going to let me crawl around under there and look for it.  I swallowed hard, unbuckled Doodle and myself and tried to be brave.  In the seconds allowed for getting off the ride I searched my clothing and my bag in hopes that it had somehow been trapped.  No luck.  I put Doodle on the platform and stood up to go, one last look over my shoulder at the ride vehicle.  There is was sitting on the seat. I snatched it back just as the vehicle moved forward.  I put both pieces of the bracelet in a small plastic Disneyland bag and shoved it to the bottom of my bag. Every time I got something out I made sure the little bag did not fall out.  I checked and checked to be certain that both pieces were still there.  I wasn't too worried, the snake had lost it's before and once it's tail piece.  I knew it could be repaired.

Fast forward to coming home a week or so later.  I put the plastic bag containing the bracelet parts into my dresserIn a drawer filled with other bracelets and miscellany.  Intending to get it fixed right away.  Time went on, an on.  Boys grew, life got in the way.  A while later I was cleaning out that drawer and came across a small plastic Disney bag.  I pulled it out intending to put the bracelet in my purse and take it to a jeweler.  The bag was empty. I tore through the drawer and through the rest of the dresser, I went to the bank to check in the safe deposit box.  Nothing, Gone.  Just gone. I was heartbroken.  And then I was angry at myself for losing it.  After all, it had stayed with me, even through a beheading by roller coaster.  How could it be gone now?

This morning I was, again, cleaning out that dresser.  In the bottom drawer with left over bits of ribbons and junk, confiscated toys and promotional buttons, there in the very back was a battered plastic baggie from Disneyland.   I was almost afraid to look, but there is was.  Both pieces just waiting to be found.  I was sure I had purged it in some long ago fit of drawer cleaning, accidentally sent it off to the great beyond of charitable donations.

It's been missing a long time and I am very glad to have it back.  I wonder if it will still talk to me in my dreams. 

 

2 comments:

Grammy said...

That is an amazing story. So much I never knew about my friend.

Hippy Goodwife said...

Sally V Oh my Gods, Carmen - that made me cry! What a beautiful story! What an incredible moment for you when you found it. It's a beautiful bracelent with a great story. Now get it fixed so you will be able to wear it. I look forward to seeing it. I'm so happy for you!

Carmen MI was crying too Sally.

China M I expect to see it fixed next time I visit, and on your arm. Maybe the snake knows where the veg peeler is?

Jennifer L I think it's time for that tattoo now!

Sally V Yes - tattoo!

Melanie H Love this. You really should write more.. and not just on a blog. You have such an amazing voice.
.