Ever since my friend Molly over at Remedial Eating posted this on her blog I have been meaning to make it. A couple of nights ago I did, and whoot! It was gobbled up by everyone. Quick, easy, tasty and possibly even healthy. Because I cannot leave well enough alone I made a couple of changes.
I didn't have any chillies in the house but I did have a can of Muir Glen petite diced tomatoes in adobo and a can of Limited Edition Brigade Whole Tomatoes. ( I received their 2009 crate as a gift, great, great tomatoes. About the only thing that I buy in a can.) I know, I thought"Limited Reserve" canned tomatoes was pretty dumb too. But they are more than a couple steps up from your grocery store brand. In a dish like this one where there is no place to hide, it makes sense to use the best possible ingredients.
I also couldn't resist deglazing the pan with a splash of dry white whine that had been languishing in the refrigerator. I did it after adding the garlic and spices, before adding the tomatoes.
We didn't have any bread in the house so I made this incredibly quick and easy flatbread. I grilled the flatbread while the tomatoes simmered.
Flatbread recipe:
Ingredients:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup ice water
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of baking soda
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients and form into a dough. Cut into 4 or 5 equal pieces. Roll out to a thin 8 inch circle. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork and cook on an oiled hot griddle. Turn with a spatula. Watch these flat bread disks closely because they cook fast. Serve warm.Link to Molly's glorious blog and her recipe for Shakshuka. I think this would make a brilliant New Year's day brunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment