
Me, my Dad and Ludvig in "our" park. Grant ave, Waukegan, Il. 1969
When I was three we lived in Waukegan. In the upstairs apartment of a polish flat with heat only in the kitchen. One day my Mother took me to preschool at the church behind our house and then went home and had a stroke. I have only scattered memories of this time, and no idea what happened when. Just that these snippets of things happened. I remember I was in the morning preschool, I remember watching the sky outside the windows turn darker than it had ever been while I was at school. It felt very late. I remember my Dad trying to comb my long flyaway hair into a ponytail. I remember riding on my Uncle Ross' lap down the long dirt road that led to our landlords house. My Dad was in school at Naval Station Great Lakes. I remember visiting my Mom in the hospital. Too young to be allowed back in the ward I waited in the lobby. I remember her in a hospital gown, with an IV pole walking down the hall towards me. The carpet in the lobby was orange. I remember my Granny came from California and we all went to O'Hare Airport. My Mother in a wheelchair with my dog, Ludvig, in a carrier on her lap. My Granny pushed the chair and I hung onto the handle. At some point we ate hot dogs. I was confused and scared.
Much later when I was nine and we lived in Western Australia in a prefab house painted Easter egg blue with dark blue trim my Mother look me to school one day and then went home and collapsed. By the time I walked myself home from school she had already been taken away by the Flying Doctor service to a hospital in Perth. Nearly 800 miles and a three days drive away. I remember going to stay with her friend Raelene, I remember getting postcards from her about her nurses and wardmates and the hospital volunteers who brought her flowers and magazines and letters from home. We had no town phone service. Just the mail and telegrams. In 1975 rural Western Australia was still pretty cut off. I was lonely and confused and angry that no one would talk to me.
In 1982 I drove off the school one morning in Washington. In Oregon my Dad fell into the Columbia River and drowned. I remember that I had argued with him the last time I had seen him the week before he left on his trip. I remember hearing my mother scream when she opened the door to three men in dark blue suits. I remember frantically searching for my Grandfather and lighting a cigarette for my mother whose hands were too shaky to do it herself. I remember my favourite teacher calling and asking what I would do if I started to cry in class. I assured him that I wouldn't. I remember calling my favourite Uncle to tell him the news. He drove like a madman for three hours to get home. I made the arrangements, met with funeral directors, called relatives. I was 16.
I didn't think about these things when I decided to tell Doodle that I was sick, and that I would be seeing lots of doctors and that I might be really tired for a while. I hope by making things low key and understandable that he will not suffer the crushing confusion and loneliness brought on by knowing that the adults you trust are keeping a really big secret from you. I am not trying to keep any secrets. I don't want to go into the specifics here, but if you want to know what is going on with me, please ask. I am happy to talk.
I don't know if all parenting is reactive like that. My parents did A so I will do X instead. I expect they were doing what was expected of them. Both times they were far away from home and I would guess pretty scared. Like the proverbial duck, peddling like hell under the water and attempting calm above. I am not very good at that.
8 comments:
I am quite skeptical about the need to "shield" children from difficult realities as long as they don't involve deliberate human cruelty. I support your decision, as I will support you for as long as you need or want it.
I know this is such an inadequate thing to say, but. Warm thoughts and positive energy are coming your way, and prayers, and every possible supportive sentiment.
I know this is such an inadequate thing to say, but. Warm thoughts and positive energy are coming your way, and prayers, and every possible supportive sentiment.
Sally V Love you, Carmen.
China M Jugs
Janine J Xoxo
Kerry M Much love, sweet friend.
Cynthia K thank you for sharing
Jenny S ♡♡
Nan P Definitely be as open with S. as is age-appropriate; it's much less scary when kids get info from the parent. Hugs, and let me know if there's anything I can do for you.
Olga O baby ducks can look underwater and see the frantic paddling. always less scary when they know things are going to be different/challenging, and why. side note, i the title of that blog post, on so many levels.
Tanzi B Beautifully written, Carmen. Many hugs, prayers & good thoughts.
Sarah M Big jugs. You are handling it perfectly.
Jane R I think we naturally avoid telling kids things that we know will be upsetting, but then we leave them confused and scared, recognizing that something is wrong. You are doing the right thing, and it will be hard for all, but you are empowering S. to express himself the way he needs to.
Olga O ^ i have explained to the kids is that sometimes my diabetes creates a moody mama, and that has nothing to do with them and their behavior. they will ask, "is your blood sugar too high? you're being grumpy!" -- in my case, i need them to know that it's not always THEM (although half the time, it is, ha ha ha). kids are damn resilient. and S is a sharp little cookie with a giant heart.
Suzy He will be able to look back on his childhood and know without a doubt that you were motivated by love and trust in him. Love to you and your family, Carmen.
Lori K WSS. (((((((((((((((((((((((((you))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Jane H I have chosen the 'tell more' route as a parent. Sometimes, I probably offer too much information. Clearly we are all learning as we go. This is a beautifully written piece. Thanks for your openness, I will be asking.
Heidi G My dear Carmen-S.will see and witness that something is wrong so I agree with being honest with him. Also, it enables all of us to be honest with him, answer his questions, and focus on you, Patrick, and S and your well being and healing. Love to you my dear friend!
Judith L I agree that enough information to help make sense of what is going around them is a good way to help children feel safe. Love the photo. Sending love to you.
Olga O to echo Heidi, it will help us in case S brings up questions or feelings: how are you phrasing things to him, so that we can deliver the same message?
Amanda F Oh, I wish I could chat with and hug kid Carmen. Your decision to tell S is for sure the right one. Children are sensitive little detectives who will attempt to figure out what is happening and fill in the blanks (usually incorrectly) when they aren't told what is going on. I feel strongly that you are right to give S your gift of having learned from the past. As always, thank you for sharing your story.
Jane R Yeah, if you didn't explain it to him, as Olga, can tell you, he would assume your head was going to fall off.
Shulamit K The kids who are being shielded and (by omission) lied to in families I have known have always seemed the most anxious, and the kids I know who are respected with big information (filtered to them in age-appropriate ways) seem so much more secure and grounded. So just joining the chorus here. Kudos to you, and warm thoughts to all.
Heather U Thank you for sharing that story. You have already raised a son who is so honest and open hearted, and awake to the world. He knows his mamma...and that you are no "if we all just avoid talking about it, maybe it will go away" kind of person. He would feel as isolated as you did if you held him at arm's length to protect him from your pain. Whatever you are going through, he be well served with honesty. Love to you!
Rena R hugs and love to all of you
Jamia M Sending love and huge hugs to you and the whole family, From the results I've seen, you're a brilliant parent. Do know that we are 8 minutes away and stay up quite late...if any need arises, call.
Holly S I echo others sentiments. Know that we thinking of you and that everything turns out OK.
Consuelo G Beautiful writing. Sending healing energy. you are love.
Shirley S Absolutely what Amanda and Heather already said, only more eloquently than I could. You are an amazing woman, with an amazing story. I hope you know that all the love (and support) we have to offer is yours.
Corey E I hope that you will get some answers and with it some relief. In the meantime, I'm sure S knows something is going on, and for you to be honest and forthcoming with him will show him how much you love him . I'm so sorry you had the rough experiences in your childhood
Rachel E Beautifully written You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Gretchen M Hugs to you, Carmen. You know what is best for your family. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.
Molly C Secrets make us sick, which is why sharing with S. is important. You are a wonderful person, and a fantastic mom. My heart is with you.
In my experience (most recently with Paul's and my niece and nephews), being honest with children, in a way that they can understand, is critical. Sending lots of positive, supportive thoughts to you and your family.
Post a Comment