I haven't had much to say around here lately. It's not lack of subject matter, plenty of life has happened around here. The garden is growing, the boys are growing, the dog still sleeps a lot.
Mother's Day is coming up and that always fills me with a certain kind of dread. I don't like Mother's Day. I don't want to believe the hype. The breakfast in bed, cheesy jewelry, red roses and little blue boxes type of enforced recognition. I don't want to want it, but I do. At least a little bit. It always feels like a disappointment. I don't actually need a Hallmark morning to know that my family loves me. It is perplexing to me that I care at all.
Mother's Day is complicated for motherless mothers. There is no way to celebrate your own motherhood without acknowledging the loss of your mother. No amount if gluey kisses, burnt pancakes or fancy presents can fill in the open spot. It's just there. Most of the year I just live with it, the size ebbs and flows but on Mother's Day, and on my birthday it gapes wide.
My discomfort with Mother's Day is not new. As a kid I always liked the school house craft intended as a "surprise" for Mother. I did my best to make the perfect gift. Even then it seemed kind of odd to me that my hand towel, painted vase or whatever was supposed to represent a years worth of mothering. How could that ever be adequate? Sometime in my twenties I decided that I had had enough and did not send my Mom a card for Mother's Day. I felt like she knew I loved her, and appreciated all that she had done for me. It was a grave error in judgement on my part. She was furious and hurt. I didn't understand at all. It wasn't until Doodle refused to partake in the pre-school Mother's Day gifts that I really got it. Of course it didn't actually reflect his love for me, but it mattered and it hurt. I was very confused by my reaction. When another preschool parent made the offhand remark that maybe some other mother's child would make me a gift I was nearly in tears.
Every year I think, it's ok. Whatever happens will be fine. Sigh. Maybe this year is my year. The stars will align and I won't feel like an orphan or a terrible mother. One of my friends from Doodle's school, an amazingly calm mother of four under six, also has a complicated relationship with her still living mother. She thinks of Mother's Day as a time to acknowledge her mothering peers. To celebrate the real time mothers that make an impact on her life everyday. I like it. I think it is the piece that is really missing from standard Mother's Day fare. We are all out here together. Some days in the trenches and some days on the mountaintop.
So, Thank you, thank you to all the Mom's ( and Dad's and teachers and friends, Uncles and Aunties and all the fine humans) who routinely stand in the gap for any Mom. Mothering is really a communal experience, none of us can make it alone.

1 comment:
Kathy M
Mothering is a strange thing for some of us! I didn't actually feel like an official mother until my son finally said "Mom!" He said "Mom" when he was 25 months old! Before that, I was not acknowledged! I don't expect gifts on Mother's Day! A nice card and peace in the home is all I want! I feel so blessed to have my son and that's all I could ever ask for in life! Happy Mother's Day Carmen!:)
Dawn B It is bittersweet for me too!!!! I miss my mother, when she died I was at a very low point in my life and I know she was upset by my lifestyle. Add to that the fact that some days my kids and I cant stand each other, quite normal for teens I suppose! It makes all the fuss very awkward to say the least. I will accept the day and grin and bear it, my 22+ years as a mom has afforded me many opportunities to do just that :)))))
Shulamit K Two of my best friends from HS/college are both mothering toddlers now who were born soon after their own mothers died. I'll pass this on to them.
Shulamit K --If that's okay!
Mary F Wonderfully written as always. I feel the same big hole in my heart for my mom and I appreciate the thought that all the women who act as surrogate moms are remembered too. Thank you.
Michele B This is an awesome post, Carmen. Mother's Day and Father's Day are both just awkward holidays. I've never felt comfortable being on either the giving or receiving end even though my parents are both still alive and I have a great relationship with them. And, like you, I have had many mixed feelings and it just irritates me. Stupid Hallmark! But, I like your idea of honoring all the mothers in your life. That's a terrific positive attitude!
Shulamit K Soon after _my friends_' own mothers...", I meant. Pronouns!!!!
· 1
Ryan Awesome post.
Dre S
Loved this, Carmen. I have a lot of the same feelings, and the whole hallmark aspect bothers me (and is the same reason I dislike valentine's day). Totally agree about honoring mom friends/peers! I couldn't do this without them. As for me, I don't want or get gifts unless handmade, and I'll spend the morning with some of my favorite mom friends doing something I love :).
Nan P Yes indeed, Carmen. I could go on, but don't know where to begin.
Post a Comment