Monday, February 21, 2011

Urban Homesteading Pirate. AArrghhh....


ok, maybe not so much on the pirate and only a little bit on the homestead. We are a homestead in progress. We have gardens, we process and preserve much of our own food, we are in the process of losing the lawn, we do not have our own chickens but actively seek out others who do and trade, barter or steal the eggs. Kidding! Really. As small as our efforts are, we are doing our best to be sustainable, and we are doing it with little to no actual budget. Any move towards growing our own food needs to accomplished in as budget neutral a manner as possible.

I rely on the many, many excellent bloggers out there who generously, share their time and ideas for free. Right here on the old World Wide Web. Between the blogs and the library there is more information than I could ever hope to digest. It's everywhere. The online community of bloggers has been an invaluable asset to people like me who have big ideas and small wallets.

Urban Homesteading is not a new idea. In this country immigrant families have been keeping stealth chickens and other small livestock in urban settings for generations. People of all socio-economic backgrounds have kept gardens, in the back yard, the front yard, the fire escape, the window sill and under grow lights in darkened rooms ( phsaw, other things besides cannabis are grown indoors.)


The planning for this year's Urban Homestead Garden is well under way...

Recently some royalty in the Urban Homesteading blog world have decided that they alone own the rights to the term "Urban Homestead". Sorry folks, you don't get to own a part of my lifestyle. You have become the very sort of people that you have so long decried. I will not add your trademark to my writing. I will not face the south and salute every time I pull vegetables from my own ground. And I will most certainly not be sending you a royalty check for this blog. Urban Homestead. Urban Homestead. Urban Homestead. There I said it no trademarks necessary.

I am truly sorry that a family long known for their sustainable efforts has stooped so low as to try a money grab at a long used term that reflects a generations old mindset. Shame on you.

No comments: