Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Caramalized Rhubarb Bread.


Sorry, no photos of the actual bread. It is long gone. We will have to make due with this delicious illustration by Irish designer Aislinn Adams.

Caramelized Rhubarb Bread.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C brown packed brown sugar.
2 C diced Rhubarb.
2 TBL salted butter.
2/3 C oil.
1 egg.
1 C Buttermilk.
1 tsp salt.
1 tsp baking soda.
1 tsp Vanilla ( please use the real stuff).
2 1/2 C unbleached white all purpose flour.


Topping
1 TBL soft butter.
1/4 cup mixed white and brown sugar.

To Make:

Preheat oven to 350F Grease 2 loaf pans. Grease well.

Combine 2TBL butter, rhubarb and 1/2 C packed brown sugar in a skillet and saute until lightly caramelized. That is to say golden and delicious! But just barely. Allow to cool slightly.

Combine in a bowl remaining 1C packed brown sugar and oil. Stir until smooth. Add the egg, buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla and flour. Stir to combine. Don't over mix. Fold in warm rhubarb mixture. Pour into prepared pans.

Combine soft butter and sugar mixture until crumbly, then sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 350F for 50 min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Let cool 10 min before turning out onto racks. Allow to cool completely before slicing. If you can stand it.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Big Alice said...

oh, that sounds fantastic. Now I blame you for my drool-broken keyboard.

Hippy Goodwife said...

*
Jason K
Rock on with your bad self.

Kati I
I don't even need to read the recipe and my mouth is watering!

Heather A
I have a fridge full of rhubarb. Thanks for passing on your recipe.

Jason K
Crap. Now I have to remember which box in my storage unit has my loaf pan.

Michele B
Thanks, Carmen. I'm going to pass this on to my mother who is growing rhubarb in her garden.

Jane R
Wow, you're looking pretty put out about that bike! Is that Larry, looking too cool for school?

Sarah L B
God bless you!!!

Carmen
I think it is the camera that I am less than pleased about. That is Larry in the back and Granny in her kitchen whites. We are standing out side of Uncle's house in Calistoga.

Jason K
Hmmm...that sauteeing/caramelizing has got me wondering what "Rhubarb Foster" on top of good vanilla ice cream would be like.

Valerie G
Thanks for sharing! Sounds super yummy. Can hardly wait to begin cooking again. LOVE the picture at the top of your blog ;-)

Michele B
‎@Jason - Rhubarb Foster? Holy shit...somebody better come up with recipe for that, now.

Jane R
‎. . . and then throw a "Rhubarb Foster" party for everyone who knows Carmen!

Jason K
Recipe? There's a recipe for bananas foster? Sautee in butter w/brown sugar until not too done, spice, flambe w/rum.

Michele B
I guess you're right. I've never made Bananas Foster, but it can't be too complicated, can it?

Jason K
The only real trick is to use slightly green bananas so they don't get too soft.

If you want to be EEEEEEEEvil, fill a crepe with them. Scoop of good vanilla on the side (Molly Moon's is the only game in town), and you're set. Or maybe just... a dollop of whip creme.

Michele B Thanks for the tips.

molly said...

Holy cow. And to think I almost missed this. And to think we still have some scrawny stalks left!! Hot diggity doggity...