Today is the day sacred to the Goddess Brid, or Bridget, or Bree or Brigid or St. Bridget. They are one in the same for me. The Goddess of childbirth and hearth. This morning we wanted to make corn dollies to add to our growing collection and as a protection for our home. Because we did not have any handy rushes, or corn stalk, or even dried grasses ( the PNW is not known for dry anything) we made due with some pipe cleaners. Unorthodox maybe, but we are modern pagans here! I think our little tribute turned out very well. It is hanging in a place of honor on the branch over our table. Eventually it will hang over the hearth where it really belongs.
Doodle was very pleased with it and wanted to take it to preschool to show the teacher. I didn't exactly say no, but I certainly did not encourage the idea. And I did not remind him when he forgot. Why did I do this? I really don't know but I expect it had a lot to do with still being a wee bit shy about my beliefs. An unwillingness to stand up to scrutiny for them. The dislike of explaining myself. The fear that he would get questions that he could not answer, that he would be labeled. I don't hide what I believe but I don't advertise either. One of the things I most like about my pagan beliefs is that at no time am I ever called upon by my Gods to testify, to proselytize, to evangelize. My beliefs are mine. They might be your's one day too, but you will have to come to that for yourself. To that end, neither of my boys have been assigned a religion. Sure they make crafts, they listen to stories and read books. They join in age appropriate rituals, they attend feasts and celebrations. But their souls have been consigned to no one but themselves and their parents.
So why did I balk and taking this pipe cleaner representation to school? I don't know. I don't want to believe that I am ashamed of what I believe, or afraid of it's repercussions. But maybe I am. The United States does not have a very good history of being kind to people who do not fit in. The Pilgrims came here for religious freedom. THEIR religious freedom not mine. They had no intention of tolerating the beliefs of any other group. There are plenty of native tribes to attest to that.
To a certain extent that is still true. In the US you are generally assumed to be a Protestant Christian until proven otherwise. Once you are proven otherwise all bets are off.
2 comments:
You're quite right to be somewhat nervous. There is a case pending in the California courts right now that is challenging their prison systems on their policy of the five acceptable religions for prison chaplains.
I think your concerns for your son are also appropriate. I was labeled and derided, but that was my choice and I knew what I was getting in to.
you know, when I saw your FB status the other day that said something about running out of dried rushes... I had a feeling you were crafting these.
lovely!
ps. i lost your for awhile (and Cyn, too), but now you are found!
Post a Comment