Wednesday, November 25, 2009

True Story.



Both my Mom and my Granny made the most incredible garlic dip for special occasions. It always made an appearance at Thanksgiving. Set out before dinner with a bowl of ruffled potato chips alongside the canned black olives and Brussels Sprout turkey tree. I watched them make it my whole life but never really noticed what went in it. In high school I started asking for the recipe. My Granny would say that I could have it "after". Meaning after she died I could find it in her recipe box. Every year I would ask, every year she would say "after". My mother never did tell me what was in it. My Grandmother died when I was in college, away from home and busy. Certainly not cooking much. I didn't think much about the recipe box. After my Mom died and we moved into this house I finally had the time to sort through the boxes and look at recipes. Both my Mom and Granny kept a wooden box with a jumble of index cards and magazine pages. One night as I was flipping through the cards I saw it. Sticking up above the cards for zucchini cake and Mexican casserole. The title in my Granny's neat handwriting, " Garlic Dip" I whipped it out of the box and stared. It was blank. Just the title, no recipe, no note. Nothin'.

Now, if you didn't know my Granny you might think she just never got around to it. I don't believe it. She never forgot anything. She knew I would go looking for it and I am sure her only regret was that she wouldn't be there to see my face when I found it.

Tomorrow we will have my, still evolving, version of my family's famous garlic dip. I think I have is just about figured out.

Happy Thanksgiving!~

1 comment:

molly said...

No. Way. We ALWAYS had canned black olives (sniff!). Man, your granny sounds like a slam-dunk -- which she'd joined us for Thanksgiving, too! Post the dip recipe, eh? No more saving it for "after!"