Friday, October 23, 2009

Desperate times.



Doodle is allergic to peanuts. There is not one single reliable source of peanut safe candy corn in this country. Mama loves Candy corn. Adores Candy Corn. Has been known to keep post Halloween stashes of Candy Corn. But not anymore. No Candy Corn in this house since 2006. Last week this post from Cakespy caught my eye. Homemade Candy Corn. Which in turn sent me to Serious Eats for the recipe. Not one to turn down a challenge I figured why not? How bad can it be? Actually, it's pretty simple, though the recipe does not have temperatures for cooking the sugar. Cook it too long and you'll have candy rocks. This recipe from the Washington Post does have temperatures and some other useful information. In the end I used this recipe from Serious Eats ( via Jessie at Cakespy) I did like having the technical information too. As it turned out, I did not need to boil the sugar for five minutes. It hit 225 in about three minutes. Without a thermometer I would have overcooked it and ruined the candy.



So, my advice? Get yourself a candy thermometer ( about 10.00) Give it a try, none of the ingredients are hard to find or expensive and the resulting candy is very tasty, not too cloyingly sweet, with a really nice vanilla flavour. They are a bit misshapen and not smooth but who cares. It's CANDY CORN! minus the carnuba wax.

4 comments:

Auntie vampire said...

Can you still use it to make candy corn fangs?

molly said...

You goddess, you. I loathe candy corn, despise it, but still, stand in awe. (I did get an awesome felted wool candy corn purse, though. Couldn't make that, either.)

Heidi said...

And it was delicious! Thank you for a smashing party! Grandpa Joe and I had a great time!

Aileen said...

Oooh! I will have to bookmark this for next year. I'm always so bummed that we can't have candy corn. Peanut allergies truly do suck, especially at Halloween.