Monday, June 08, 2009

Crusty and the Bear.

Being a near teenager and way to big for his britches, Crusty is not easily impressed. He's smart enough to figure out most special effects, is not easily fooled but yet is still scared by random night noises. Like most kids, he wants to be grown up and a kid all at the same time. Especially when he has little" bothers" to herd around. On our most recent trip to the zoo he was suitably unimpressed by penguins, iguanas, bats and orangutans. As well as a whole host of fantastic creatures. Then we came to bear den. We watched them frolic in their f aux tundra for awhile. Standing at the glass Crusty was more interested in the fish. And then this happened:

That big old Grizzly bear hopped down into the stream, swam over to Crusty and stayed there. They checked each other out for a while causing quite a stir in the viewing shelter. Crusty never took his eyes off the bear, the bear didn't look away either. For a cynical boy this was an amazing experience. He talked about it all the way home and then some. I know he feels that cats are his totem animals but I think he may have gotten a message from the Ursus clan today.

8 comments:

Seumas Gagne said...

What a beautiful photo of a compelling moment!

wagoose5 said...

Wonderful posting and terrific pictures!

Heidi said...

WOW! What a picture! Seems the moment was compelling for both the bear and the boy!
PS I guess you didn't get my Folklife comment about Morris Dancers - probably for the best!

Nina said...

Wow, that is just too cool! I love that photo!

Hippy Goodwife said...

What you cannot see in this photo is the huge and rare smile on his face~

Ryan said...

That's pretty awesome. I want a bear.

ducky said...

What a wonderful experience!

Anonymous said...

That is so very cool!

Marissa