Monday, December 22, 2008

reaction

Doodle had a reaction to a new food product in the house yesterday. I researched, I talked with production managers, I contacted suppliers. I knew everything that they would tell me about this product, and still a reaction. Hives around his mouth and itching. Thankfully nothing that couldn't be tamed with benadryl. No scary run to the E.R. in the snow. No Epi-pen this time.

I did absolutely everything in my power to assure that his food was safe, and still I failed. All is well, no harm done, blah, blah, blah....the bottom line is that is it my job to keep him safe and sometimes I have to rely on others to tell me the truth. What am I supposed to do when that isn't good enough?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh and saddness. I am sorry he ahd a reaction to something else. I am happy that Benedryl did the trick. You didn't fail sweet pea. You ARE a wonderful mother to both your boys. We are ALL very lucky to have you!

Seumas Gagne said...

As much as you would like to, a m'eudail, you cannot remove every risk from your kids lives. You do everything you can, and then you deal with what makes it through as best you can. Your best, if it needs to be said, is beyond fabulous.

Kids are tough. Doodle will be fine - it's you I worry about!

Heidi said...

Ditto to Uncle Seumas! You are fabulous! And you do keep your kids safe! (I don't think my previous comment made it through)

CzaMama said...

Seumas said it better than I could. You do more to keep your child safe than anyone I know, how could you do more? There are a lot of variables in life to take into account, some we don't even know about.

Big hugs to you