Sunday, October 25, 2015

Mama, I'm ok.

 
Mom and me, somewhere on the Pali Highway.  Circa 1971



A dreaded phone call.  All my adult life I started calls to my Mom with " Hi Mom, I'm ok".  The sight of my number on her caller ID  always filled her with momentary dread.  I had moved away to the big bad city and she worried.  Every car accident on the news, every terrible thing.  She worried.  So I would start every phone call by telling her I was alright.  IF I left a message it was always  "Tell her I am fine."  Sometimes followed by terrible news, car accidents, deaths, illness, broken heart, you name it.

Today I was on the other end of that phone call.  " Mama, I'm ok. " Scared and crying but ok.  Doodle had been out having an adventure with grown up friends  while I was at rehearsal.  There was a car accident.  His first. Everyone walked away.  He was with people who care about him.  He was fine.   I don't  know why he started out the call that way.  Maybe someone told him to, reassure then give details.   I don't know.    I'd like to think it was my a little bit of my Mom there.  Probably having a chuckle at the turn of circumstance.  He is ok.  Everyone will see their GP's in the morning.  Everyone is ok. The car can be fixed.  The insurance can be worked out.  I'm ok Mom.

If your Mom is still reachable by phone, maybe call her.  Tell her you are ok.

2 comments:

NESeattleMom said...

Funny to read this....just got a call from my 17y.o. about a little tiny bumper tap in a big puddle on the way to school. Standing in the pouring rain with a nice woman with a kid in the car. Nobody hurt, no cars damaged. But some tears and trembling.
CLC

Hippy Goodwife said...

LeAnn heart emoticon This made me cry just a teeny bit. I'm glad that everyone is ok. heart emoticon

Seumas Susan is always close by this time of year. I'm glad everyone is OK.


Kathryn C Teared up here. I'm glad everyone is ok, and I'm glad you are of the sort of mothers who care enough to need reassuring. Love.


MariClaire Wow...so sweet to see the traditions passed on, even unknowingly. heart emoticon

Heidi I'm glad everyone is ok.

Nan Aaw. Glad everyone is all right.


Corey E I'm glad everyone is ok!

Valerie Goulds Thankful everyone is ok.

Ashley <3


Shirley Schultz XOXO.

Lois So happy all are ok. Glad your momma' spirit lives on!

Kati I was in a bad car accident about a mile from my home as a teenager. One of the kindly neighbor bystanders drove me to my house. My parents came out and I said IwasinacaraccidentandimokandITWASNTMYFAULT. It seemed really vital that they understood that part.

Molly <3

Jane Just called Mom to see if SHE was o.k. She's o.k. smile emoticon