Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tired of waiting.

Crusty doing an eyeclops close up of the borax snowflakes.

Molly's post over at Remedial Eating got me thinking. We have been waiting no so patiently for snow this year( I know, I know I can hear all my friends farther north and east groaning!) With the exception of the fantastically mismanaged freak snowstorm in November we have had hardly a flake. A dusting here or there, even three of four inches on occasion, but none of it lasting more than a few hours.

The November storm made the national news. Not because it was so big ( though for us it was) but because a series of dumb decisions by the local Dept of Transportation caused thousands and thousands of motorists to be stuck on area freeways for upwards of 8 hours. That is a long time to sit in your car. We were on our way home from a quick get away. We left our hotel expecting an hour and a half drive. Over six hours later we arrived in our driveway. It would have taken us a whole longer if we didn't know all of the back ways. The freeways were stopped dead in all directions. It was harrowing at times, it was cold. But we had snacks, no one needed to pee and really, it was fun. It was an adventure. One that I am sure the boys will never forget. I can imagine them in their rockers on day..."remember that blizzard of twenty ten? Must have been ten gillion feet of snow on the ground....took us days to get home.....we had to eat the gum wrappers to stay warm."

After that, we were sure we would get more snow in this winter. Maybe we still will. But we are tired of waiting. We have cut snow flakes, played with Snow in Seconds , grown our own ( out of the gutter people! We are hippies, not pot heads) . We have drawn and written about and pined for more snow.

*sigh* I don't want to live in the Midwest, I don't want to spend months buried under the snow, but we were totally skunked last year. Nary a flake! Really, is a good long weekend of snow too much to ask?

2 comments:

Olga and Z and Z said...

HAH. i love the image of the boys reminiscing (gum wrappers for warmth! heh!). and i'm with you: WHERE is the promised snow?! during the worst La Nina year in decades?! i am completely bummed.

but, uhh, i though hippie = weedie? no? damn. ;-P

Nina said...

I can send you some snow, nobody would miss it around here. We're waist-deep in the stuff.