Sunday, October 31, 2010

We've got Magic to do...




There is a lot of magic around here. Halloween seems to bring it out. Mysteries and quests abound, gleefully cheered on by grinning jack-o-lanterns and observant crows. There are the magic vegetables that somehow survived neglect and a truly bad growing season. The suddenly found things that have been missing half a year or more. The presence of people and things long gone from this world but clearly still so very present for us. The door is clearly open and they are watching.There is also a fair amount of theatre magic. Some glowing props for show and tell, dry ice tricks and kitchen science. All magic of sorts.

This weekend Doodle and I went to one of our local creative arts venues, to an unhaunted house event. A magical quest to find the missing Autumn Moonbeams. It was great fun. After getting the lowdown on the missing moonbeams from some very silly fairy ladies the kids each met with a "Fortune Teller"**. She gave them a map and told them what they must do to recover the missing moonbeams. After the instructions she read their fortune and helped them read their wishing banners ( for the mysterious, and not at all spooky wishing web) This particular fortune teller had a trick up her sleeve for Doodle. When he produced his wish for chocolate she exclaimed. " and isn't it wonderful that you can have it with peanuts now too!" He nearly hit the floor. How did she know? Was it the crystal ball? Was it the trunk full of fortunes? Magic. Serious magic for someone who is six years old and anticipating a Halloween filled with whatever candy he wants, not candy selected by Mama, screened and kept in sealed bags to avoid cross contamination. Sheer unadulterated candy. Magic.

It's magic for a Mama too. I have not carried a single emergency "safe" candy in my bag for months. I have not steered him discreetly away from well meaning but terrifying candy hander outers. Not once have I tried to explain that yes, he would like some, but no it isn't safe, and no it won't be safe if I take and keep it for later. He's free. I don't even have benadryl in my bag anymore. Magic. Magic backed up by some well placed medical professionals and scores of other people who helped us get this far.

Tonight he can run with the other kids, out of my sight even! Eat the candy in his bag until his stomach hurts. It's only a stomach ache, it's not the beginning of a life threatening crisis. I may need some help remembering that....

If you are having trick or treaters please consider buying some safe treats and keeping them separate from the others. Keep the bags too in case a parent wants to read them. You can find more information at Allergen Free Halloween There are safe candies and treats available at nearly every store now.

A Blessed, Magical and Safe Samhain to all.


**That magical "Fortune Teller" was my longtime friend Lee Ann. I didn't know she would be there, she recognized Doodle and spiced up his fortune. Pretty smart!

**Extra bonus points if you can name the musical that the title of this post came from.

1 comment:

Auntie Jane said...

Um, I don't think I even qualify for bonus points, do I? When's our sing-along party, BTW? The door has clearly been open here at Barbara's, too -- interesting season to spend some time here. I will help you remember today, and hold your hand if necessary. Looking forward to more magic!